Who we are and what we do
Catalyst Off-Grid Advisors is a boutique consultancy focused exclusively on tackling the global energy access deficit. Many of our team members come from the industry itself, enabling us to offer an insider’s perspective to our clients and partners. We collaborate with a range of actors, including enterprises, investors, international organizations, development partners, and philanthropic organizations.
A highly sought-after firm, our clients and partners include: The Rockefeller Foundation, Sustainable Energy for All, Shell Foundation, Facebook, GOGLA, the UK Government’s Commonwealth Development Corporation, The World Bank Group, USAID, Norfund, and others. Here’s just some of our recent work and innovations:
· VentureBuilder – an innovative financing vehicle that helps scale African-owned and managed off-grid energy companies. We provide equity in the form of cash investments and in Enterprise Development Services delivered by our team for financing and support of.
· Access Insights Platform (AIP) – an interactive, open-source data visualization and aggregation platform. Recently launched for Uganda and Kenya, we will soon be adding Sierra Leone and Nigeria.
· Unlocking Climate Finance to Accelerate Energy Access in Africa – first of its kind research outlining a $200 billion opportunity for climate-first funders to avoid 626 million tonnes CO2 while delivering universal energy access in Africa by 2030
· Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) – Energizing Finance: Taking the Pulse 2019
What it’s like to work with us
At Catalyst you’ll work in a fast-paced environment with a team spanning several time zones. Our team works on several mandates concurrently, which provides an exciting opportunity to learn by doing. We offer a remote workplace culture while also valuing and respecting a work/life balance.
Catalyst is recruiting Data Science Senior Analysts/Analysts to support consulting projects related to the burgeoning off-grid solar industry. The Analyst will support ongoing activities of the firm mentioned above, with a significant role in AIP.
AIP Tasks and Responsibilities
–Work with the team to launch AIP in Sierra Leone and Nigeria, with other countries to be added later
-Specific tasks related to this include:
- Data research to identify and find new layers while understanding the realities of the application to identify compatible formats
- Cleaning data into a presentable format, often from CSVs using Excel, Python/Jupyter Notebooks/Pandas/Numpy, SQL, or R
- Correcting/adapting spatial layers to upload onto Mapbox using: arcGIS/QGIS, understanding of geospatial concepts, and Mapbox
- Develop Multi-Tier Framework (MTF) modules for Uganda, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.
- Clean, prepare, and upload datasets and rasters generated by Facebook for all countries
-Assist with logistics for launches as requested
-Help develop a range of written materials including reports, presentations, research briefings, social media/web content, and other material as needed
-Conduct qualitative research in the form of literature reviews and background research
-Collect, organize, and analyze quantitative data
-Provide administrative support for the team when needed
-Other ad hoc assignments, at the request of the team and based on company and client needs
Location: Remote, while Catalyst is headquartered in Berkeley, CA, the team is decentralized.
Hours: expected engagement varies depending on needs of the firm. We are looking for a minimum of 10 hours per week, with the possibility to increase up to 30 hours per week. We can be accommodating (to an extent) regarding candidate availability.
Pay: Hourly, commensurate with experience
You’ll succeed in this role if you:
-For Analyst level: are a recent graduate or 4th year undergraduate, or current graduate student
-For Senior Analyst: are a graduate or have at least two years management consulting experience
-Have an academic background in economics, business, or data science
– Are a highly personable self-starter with the ability to work remotely and independently
-Thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines
-Have strong writing and analytical skills
-Have outstanding skills in MS PowerPoint, Excel and Word
-Demonstrating an interest in energy access in emerging markets, poverty reduction/economic growth, and/or social enterprise is a plus
Catalyst will consider individuals with a broad range of experience and skills. To apply, please submit a resume, including examples of prior work, and a brief cover letter answering the following question to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
+ Tell us about the last research assignment you had: what was it on, what were your information sources, and what was the main takeaway? (200 words max.)
Candidates are encouraged to apply by September 30, 2021, though applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis afterwards.
Catalyst values a diverse team and is committed to equal opportunities for all. All candidates will be considered without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.