Please note that you need to fill out this application by answering all possible questions that you can including past employment history, education as well as contact information. A Resume attached will not count as an application and will be marked as incomplete.
The Prevention Educator is responsible for providing school and community based prevention/education programs on all aspects of alcohol and drug use, abuse, and addiction.
A Prevention Educator I may perform a combination of some or all of the below listed responsibilities. Each educator’s annual work agreement will lay out specific responsibilities for the following year. This position requires; planning and development skills, self-motivation and the ability to exercise independent judgment and action.
1. Develops, Plans and Implements a wide range of Substance Abuse Prevention Education Programs for Steuben County residents. These programs may be delivered at Schools—for staff, teachers, administrators and/or students; or in a community setting—for organization, families and or individual residents.
2. Develops, organizes and executes community-wide substance abuse related conferences.
3. Acts as liaison to the “Self –Help” community. Assists in clearinghouse activities that link people to “Self –Help” and other community organizations. Assists “Self –Help” community in acquiring information and/or resources needed by those affected by substance abuse.
4. Assists in developing advocacy forums for people who are affected by substance abuse. This includes linking people with resources and organizations that will help them advocate for themselves regarding current substance abuse issues.
5. Assists with Positive Alternative Activities as needed, these activities may occur at the schools or in the community.
6. Represents the agency and substance abuse issues at community/school events such as Health Fairs, community celebrations, United Way events, etc.
7. Represents the agency on committees, coalitions and task forces, where they help develop, plan and execute programs and activities that creates awareness and education on a broad range of prevention issues. Such as; STTAC, Steuben Social Marketing Coalition, Aids Task Force, Family enrichment Collaborative and Child Abuse Task Force.
8. Develops and provides written reports, statistics and documentation of activities on a monthly basis. Assists with research and data collection as needed.
9. Duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Prevention Director.
TITLE OF DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Prevention Director
Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field.
One-year experience in a similar capacity.