Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick (CCK) is a private, public-interest law firm offering rewarding work with a focus on disabled military veterans and their families, as well as a wide range of other individuals who have been denied life, health, and disability benefits. As a team, we are committed to equality and inclusion in the workplace and seek to hire well-qualified and highly motivated individuals who best represent the diversity of our clients. CCK is seeking a Claims Advocate/Paralegal to join our growing team in our new office in Providence, RI.
The Claims Advocate/Paralegal is responsible for supporting the senior members of the team by drafting client communications and communications to the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This dynamic position requires superior written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to work independently as well as in a fast-paced team environment. This position offers quickly emerging opportunities for advancement. A successful candidate will be organized, accountable, take direction well, and able to multi-task in a collaborative environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a high-volume caseload;
- Communicate by telephone with VA, clients, clients’ families, medical providers, etc. according to the following protocol:
- Develop and apply knowledge of VA appellate system to client interactions;
- Navigate client cases and files to answer all status inquiries;
- Create positive interactions with clients to maintain client satisfaction.
- Forward appropriate inquiries to the corresponding VA Accredited Representative, Team Lead, and Claims Advocate;
- Draft basic correspondence to clients and the VA;
- Update case management system with all correspondence, completed work, contact information, and other information needed for record-keeping purposes;
- Complete forms and releases with clients to obtain medical records, Social Security records, service records, and other necessary records and information;
- Ensure that all documents listed in VA decisions are present in client files;
- Ensure VA is working on clients’ pending claims and appeals;
- Complete applications for claims and appeals;
- Attend weekly or as-needed training sessions;
- Attend scheduled and unscheduled meetings.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) from a four-year college or university
- 1-2 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred but not required
- Customer service and/or office experience preferred but not required
- Fluency in English
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook and Adobe Acrobat.
- Due to the unforeseen circumstances with COVID-19, this position is temporarily training and working remotely. Therefore, access to internet connection with a router/modem, and a quiet work space is required. When CCK deems it appropriate, this position will be required to report to the CCK Headquarters in Providence, RI daily.
- This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch period.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Starting annual salary is $40,000.
- Comprehensive benefit plans including, health, disability, and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; paid time off; a wellness reward program; and much more.