The City of Aventura is seeking a creative, knowledgeable and motivated, Social Media Specialist. The focus of the Part-Time Social Media Specialist is to establish a targeted social media presence for the City of Aventura in accordance with the guidelines provided by the City.
This position works under the general supervision of the Communications/Technical Project Specialist.
Duties & Responsibilities
Assists Communications leader in helping to coordinate/support the City of Aventura’s social media channels.
Generates creative, compelling content through words, content, graphics, videos, infographics, and animations for multiple social media outlets that reaches multiple target audiences and conforms to brand and the City’s visual format.
Adheres to APA style guide, ensuring the production of high-quality and error-free copy.
Optimizes digital assets, such as text, graphics, or multimedia assets, for search engine optimization (SEO) or for display and usability on internet-connected devices.
Ensures digital assets, such as text, graphics, or multimedia assets are ADA compliant. ADA compliance refers to the Americans with Disabilities Act Standards for Accessible Design, which states that all electronic and information technology must be accessible to people with disabilities.
Contributes to the development and implementation of strategic organic and/or paid social media campaigns, based on knowledge of the City’s objectives, brand strategies, market characteristics, and cost factors.
Works with colleagues to create content calendars and post relevant content, including strong, strategic use of compelling social messages, channel-specific storytelling and effective use of photography, video, and animations.
Produces reports and evaluates performance of social media channels and paid social media campaigns.
Shoots, edits, and/or uses “grassroots” photos, videos and animations as part of organic social content as appropriate.
Promotes and generates cross-linking between City channels/posts and departments, local, state, and federal to enhance the City’s visibility, reputation and increase engagement, followers for City’s social channels.
Assists in crisis communications by disseminating accurate and timely information. When the City is faced with an emergency, the social media specialist may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to assist in the communication processes if and when necessary.
Coordinates social media content to ensure content is leveraged in a timely and concurrent manner.
Addresses inquiries made on the City’s social media accounts by indirectly creating content to post for the general public on social channels.
May attend/cover special events or activities that can elevate the City’s social media presence and/or engagement of target audiences.
Contributes to the appropriate tracking, monitoring and evaluation of social media initiatives to demonstrate results and impact on success measures.
Adheres to policies and procedures.
Completes special projects as assigned.
Performs other duties as assigned or required pertaining to the maintenance of the Communications Department/team by being cross-trained in various tasks including but not limited to web maintenance.
Qualifications & Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations/Journalism, Marketing/Advertising, Communications, and/or English; or an Associate’s Degree with relative experience.
- One (1) to Two (2) years of experience working in a communications unit or agency with particular focus on social media/digital marketing channels, and developing, producing and managing successful social media public relations campaigns.
- Demonstrated copywriting and visual communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to write in a “voice” suited to the channel and target audience/market.
- Some experience with both organic and social media advertising techniques and principles
- Demonstrated experience with social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and more.
- Experience with Hootsuite, Sprout Social, and building ad campaigns within a fixed budget; experience in creating social media graphics, videos, infographics, and animations using software such as Adobe Creative Suite or Canva to increase engagement.
- Experience with new technologies, best practices, and trends in social media storytelling; some awareness of trends, best practices, and technology in social media, digital engagement, and content creation and marketing.
- Demonstrated social media portfolio of creative assets including successful posts, graphics, video storytelling, and success measurement.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Critical Thinking – Proficient skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Proficient skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
- Persuasion – Proficient skills in persuading others to participate in social media communications activities and develop their “voice” for interviews, posts, etc.
- Complex Problem Solving – Basic skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Learning – Proficient skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Social Perceptiveness – Proficient skills in being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing – Proficient skills in communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience. Adhere to APA style guide, ensuring the production of high-quality and error-free copy.
- Time Management – Proficient skills in managing one’s own time and the time of others.