Charleston Police Department is the largest municipal agency in South Carolina and the premier law enforcement organization in the state, focusing on forging lasting community partnerships and building leaders. The Charleston Police Department wishes to attract applicants who reflect the core values necessary to support community oriented, and socially impactful, policing, which include honor, integrity, empathy, and compassion.
- Have interest in serving the City of Charleston’s many unique, culturally rich, communities
- Build community partnerships through daily personal encounters
- Utilize good communication techniques to persuade de-escalation and positive outcomes
- Detect and prevent crime through pro-active patrol and engagement
- Maintain trust and public order
- Enforce the laws and ordinances of the city and all other pertinent laws with dignity and respect
- Patrol assigned areas during a specific period both in a vehicle and on foot
- Investigate suspicious activity and make arrests when appropriate
- Maintain records, prepare reports and perform related clerical duties
- Provide general information to the public concerning police action and enforcement
- Conduct crowd control during public gatherings
- Maintain a personal high standard of physical fitness and nutrition with the ability to respond appropriately to stressful and or challenging situations.
Requires: Minimum education and experience level is that of a high school diploma/GED and no military or law enforcement experience. Preference given to candidates with the following: Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or Sworn Law Enforcement or Active Duty Military experience. Must be 21 and possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license at the time of hire. Must successfully graduate from SCCJA. For more information on what it takes to become a CPD officer please visit www.joincpd.com
Charleston Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.