The Green Bay Water Utility is seeking a Communications/Public Events and Community Outreach Intern.
Under general supervision, performs work in planning, coordinating, and implementing communication programs for the Water Utility. The position plays a key role in supporting the Utility’s mission, goals, and objectives.
Hours for this position vary depending on needs. Position could be fully remote.
No residency requirement.
“The City of Green Bay is committed to a work environment and community governance that values and supports diversity and inclusion.”
The Utility is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Utility evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law.
Examples of Duties
- Develops content for company social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube).
- Updates content on internal and external websites.
- Takes photographs and videos at company events.
- Focuses public relations efforts on building trust and community support for Utility initiatives.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes community events and participation in events, speaking engagements and organizations.
- Responsible for working with community organizers to best accommodate events.
- Coordinates a calendar of events and organizes a file on contacts for each event.
- Solely responsible for the setup of water bar at community events; tending the water bar, takedown and troubleshooting if there is an issue.
- Responsible for creating/updating marketing material.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Minimum Education And Experience
- High school diploma, HSED, or GED.
- Previous work experience is required.
- Current pursuit of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications, Event Planning, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Business, Organizational Communication or related field.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Ability to perform the following activities:
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 6 hours.
- Ability to focus on projects for a long period of time.
- Ability to reach, stoop and lift on a frequent basis.
- Be able to work in the outside elements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work the required hours of the position. Hours may include evening and weekends depending on work load needs.
- Skill in developing, recommending, and promoting public information materials in a strategic context in keeping with the Utility’s missions and goals. Skill in producing and promoting public information and education events. Skill at organizing activities, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines. Skill at judgment and discretion in identifying, recommending, and implementing public and internal information campaigns.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the staff and the public. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficient skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Considerable skill in working independently without specific instructions.
- Must be an independent self-starter with a sense of urgency, proven results orientation, initiative and an affinity for producing consistently high-quality work and yield in a manner that exceeds expectations. The capacity to juggle multiple priorities effectively within a fast-paced environment is critical.
May be required to demonstrate minimum competency by successfully passing approved tests.