About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Data Scientist in this role will query and analyze large complex datasets to discover insights to apply to an evolving cancer care delivery environment. The Data Scientist will use data mining, statistics and machine learning to understand relationships and patterns in data, build predictive models and propose actionable solutions.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with administrative leaders, clinicians and IT specialists.
- Query large datasets from multiple systems.
- Build machine learning models.
- Design and implementation of pilots for validation and optimization of models in real time.
- Produce technical documentation, visualizations and presentations.
- Project management for complex tasks.
- Completes own work independently.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Master’s degree with 0+ years of experience; or Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of experience.
- Experience with data analytics within industry or academic environment, developing and successfully implementing statistical and machine learning models for data mining, classification, prediction and clustering.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL queries.
- Must be knowledgeable in at least one scientific computing language such as Python (e.g. pandas, scikit-learn, genism, seaborn, tensorflow) or R (e.g. caret, dplyr, ggplot2).
- Familiarity and experience with Machine learning (RandomForest, XGBoost/ LightGBM, etc.) and deep learning (CNN, RNN, LSTM, etc.) techniques.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Java, C/C++).
- Basic education, experience and skills preferred for consideration :
- Familiarity with a health care environment and EHR data.
- Familiarity with genomics and medical imaging data.
- Time series analysis.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- Cloud services platforms like Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.
- Awareness of the most recent trends and developments in the Data Science / Machine Learning fields.
- City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-RA