The Ambassador Summer Internship Program is an internship program for currently-enrolled college students sponsored by the City of San Antonio. The program provides students with professional opportunities and innovative career paths through paid internships, peer-to-peer networking sessions, and community service projects. Program participants are placed with government entities, non-profit agencies, and private organizations to gain experience in high-demand occupations in an effort to attract San Antonio’s graduating professionals to career opportunities within the local community.
Participation in this program is not employment with the City of San Antonio.
Work locations will vary based on employer partner opportunities.
The Ambassador Summer Internship Program was launched in the summer of 2004 through an initiative presented by then-District 7 Councilman Julián Castro. The program received the Texas Workforce Innovation Award in 2005. Ambassador Interns are enrolled and placed in internship positions each year from a variety of participating local, state and nationwide colleges and universities.
Essential Job Functions
WHAT STUDENTS CAN EXPECT FROM AN AMBASSADOR INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY:
- Explore private, non-profit, and government jobs by working for one of our employer partners for up to 25 hours per week.
- Gain technical and professional experience by providing support for work assignments.
- Build social/professional networks with employers and peers.
- Have flexible schedules that will allow for participation in Ambassador Summer Internship Program peer-to-peer sessions and community service projects.
To apply for an Ambassador Internship, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must have completed at least one full year (two semesters) of college.
- Must be currently enrolled in college.
- Must be a San Antonio high school graduate or enrolled in a college/university in San Antonio.
- Must be a permanent resident of the City of San Antonio.
- Must demonstrate and maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average (GPA).
Experience cannot be substituted for any of the program requirements.
Candidates must submit the following attachments as part of the online application:
- College transcripts showing completion of two (2) full semesters and a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Proof of San Antonio residence (copy of a utility bill or mortgage/lease).
- Current Resume.
APPLICANT DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Final deadline: February 28, 2021
- Students will be accepted based on employer availability.
- Applicants selected for this position will not be considered or hired as City of San Antonio employees. Instead, they will be considered contracted interns with their assigned employer partner(s).
- Applicants selected to participate in the City of San Antonio Ambassador Summer Internship Program must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks.