Reports to: SCPN Director
Manages: SCPN Fellows
Salary: $41,000 – $46,000
Location: Due to COVID-19, our office is entirely remote with the opportunity for employees to continue working remotely in the future.
Start Date: May 1st, 2021
Benefits: Medical insurance, paid vacation, holidays, sick time, and family leave, flexible working hours, technology stipends
Climate XChange provides research, education, and advocacy tools to promote ambitious policy and bold leadership on climate change at the state level. We pass state climate policy through four areas of impact: (1) connecting thousands through our State Climate Policy Network, (2) creating cutting-edge economic modeling through our research, (3) sharing science-based information through our communications, and (4) building broad coalitions through our direct advocacy in Massachusetts and Maryland.
As a leading voice on carbon pollution pricing and related market mechanisms, we empower state and local policy makers, business leaders, and advocates with the information and resources they need to make these policies a reality. We believe that we can, and must, address the overlapping challenges of environmental justice, health, and inequality to deliver a transformed economy that finally puts people first.
The State Climate Policy Network is a network of more than 13,000 advocates and policymakers who are pushing for effective and equitable climate policies. It’s a critical part of our work and where collaboration and conversation across state lines take place.
As our State Climate Policy Network Associate, you will work closely with our SCPN Director and take on key responsibilities. You will track state climate legislation, help manage our team of fellows, support our regular programming work, and play a critical role in bringing new people into the state climate policy movement.
Support programming work
- Work with SCPN Director to promote monthly webinars and calls.
- Write recap articles for monthly Deep Dive webinars.
- Assist with logistics for all programming, including coordinating Zoom logistics, compiling slide decks, and monitoring our chat box during virtual meetings.
Help recruit, hire, train, and manage SCPN fellows
- Reach out to universities across the country to recruit a diverse pool of applicants for our cohorts each semester.
- Play support role in fellowship hiring, interviewing, and training process.
- Edit fellows articles, landscape analyses, call notes and other documents as needed.
- Conduct Zoom check-ins with fellows on a biweekly basis.
- Help lead twice-a-week cohort work sessions.
Assist with membership management and outreach
- Conduct weekly outreach to bring new members into the network from a range of backgrounds, sectors, and states.
- Add webinars and call attendees to AirTable and update listservs weekly.
Spearhead policy updates on our website
- Work with our research team and fellows to maintain state pages for all 50 states on our website.
- Track policy developments across different sectors and make updates to policy inventory on a weekly basis.
- Compile resources for climate advocates on a range of topics, including sample legislation, recent research, toolkits, etc.
Lead our SCPN Spotlight series
- Select, interview, and transcribe conversations with SCPN members on a biweekly basis.
Relevant Experience and Skills
- Commitment to tackling the climate crisis in an equitable way
- Basic understanding of the climate policy landscape
- Ability to work remotely and be self-directed and organized
- Verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially different ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds
Preferred, but not required
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience tracking legislation and working with state policymakers and advocates
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter on our website: https://climate-xchange.org/jobs-internships/
Climate XChange is committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable, and safe workplace for our team, our partners, and our network. We understand that the climate crisis is an intersectional issue and that inclusion of diverse perspectives and backgrounds is crucial to our success.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Climate XChange is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.