Please note that applications must be submitted on our website. Applications submitted through Handshake will not be considered.
The Civic Innovation Corps is a paid, 10-week internship experience connecting mission-driven software engineers, data scientists, product managers, and designers to civic tech opportunities in city and state governments across the United States.
As a Civic Innovation Corps member, you will use your data and technology skills to make government more effective and efficient for all while working with a host office to improve the products and services that residents interact with every day––from data analysis and visualization of economic recovery datasets in Miami to COVID-19 evictions analysis in Los Angeles.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in Corps-specific programming and professional development curated specifically for local and state context, and enjoy a community of like-minded mission-driven peers.
Software Engineering Position Description
Civic Innovation Corps members working on software engineering projects may contribute to a wide range of impactful work, including web scraping, web development, app development, and database tools. Corps members should be adaptable, comfortable scoping their own problem statements, and able to advocate for their project in a non-technical environment. Corps members should expect to work closely with their teams and develop their projects iteratively.
- Familiarity with any/all of the following practices: web development, full-stack engineering, app development, cloud computing, and cybersecurity;
- Prototype and test new applications, services, and enhancements;
- Own major feature development for digital products;
- Communicate technical concepts to a variety of stakeholders, many of whom may be non-technical;
- Commitment to using human-centered design practices in government.
We value applicants who:
- Excel technically. Whether it’s software engineering, data science, design, or product management, you bring a valuable skill set to the table.
- Are driven by our mission. You want to make a meaningful difference with your tech skills and are excited about public service and social impact.
- Work independently and carefully. You are proactive and take initiative in your work, build on your ideas to produce high-quality results, and can manage multiple tasks at once.
- Are great to work with. You’re collaborative and great with teams. You’ll help make the Civic Innovation Corps more inclusive for the whole cohort.
- Anyone authorized to work in the United States–including but not limited to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and DACA recipients–is eligible to apply, though some placements may have U.S. citizenship requirements. Coding it Forward is unable to sponsor visas.
- Enrolled in or a recent graduate (December 2020 or after) of a two- or four-year institution, bootcamp, or certificate program.
- All fields of study are welcome and we do not have any major or degree requirements.
- Previous experience in your field, including but not limited to internships, class projects, or hackathons.
- Passion for social impact.
Coding it Forward and our host offices have made the joint decision to have all Civic Innovation Corps members work remotely in Summer 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Every Corps member will receive a competitive stipend. Undergraduates, bootcamp, or certificate program grads will receive $6,000, while graduate students will receive $7,000.
Coding it Forward is committed to assembling a diverse cohort of Civic Innovation Corps members. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws, Coding it Forward provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.