Who We Are… In 1924, Colorado Springs voted to create a four-service public utility; electricity, natural gas, water and wastewater services. Since then, as a municipal utility, our focus has been on the basics – providing exceptional customer service while keeping costs low. We promote a work culture dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and work-life balance.
As a community owned utility, we strive to protect our environment: We live here too and want to keep our city clean and beautiful. Additionally, Colorado Springs Utilities gives back: Employees, their families and friends volunteer more than 10,000 hours each year on community projects.
Colorado Springs Utilities is seeking an entry level Engineer, eager to apply his or her engineering and scientific knowledge to join the Standards team. This is a FT non-remote position for a new graduate or an early career engineer. $60,944 to $76,190
Colorado Springs Utilities has an Electric Service area of 475 square miles, with 8 generation plants, 51 substations, and 3,906 miles of wire – 73% of which is underground. Electric usage continues to grow from 5 million MWh in 2020. A SAIDI (System Average Interruption Duration Index) of 54 minutes put us in the first quartile of reliability, as compared to other utilities in the latest IEEE survey. The Standards team works closely with other engineers in Planning, Design, Operations, and Construction to support system reliability, developing construction design standards, equipment evaluation and failure analyses.
Key Areas of Focus:
- Conduct Studies and Research related to the electric distribution system
- Manage and coordinate engineering projects
- Technical support for operational issues as they arise. This mainly consists of using engineering skills to review coordination and protection schemes (with emphasis on public safety and equipment protection), analyzing and finding solutions to outages, reviewing materials or reviewing specifications for new materials, or coordinating electric infrastructure with other customer needs
- Provide Engineering support and Standards development for new technology, such as automated metering, solar power integration, Electric Vehicle Integration, 3rd party Cellular/WiFi pole attachments, and Smart City/Smart Grid programs
- Material evaluation for new or alternate materials, with focus on lowest system lifecycle costs
- Perform tests, failure analysis of equipment, and coordinate trials of new products
- Perform failure investigations and analyses
- Partner with Electric Construction to define, document and approve electric construction standards/methods based on industry best practices/developing technologies and assuring conformance to applicable laws, codes, and regulations
- Write and approve material specifications, construction standards, and guidelines for electric items/designs
- Attend/participate in Electric industry organizations such as IEEE, RMEL and other standards groups for best practice sharing and to survey other utilities
- Review changes to codes and regulations to determine what changes need to be made to Colorado Springs Utilities practices
Who you are…Someone who has a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and is interested in getting their professional engineering license. Also, likes team-oriented work and is an innovator who looks for new technologies and processes to increase efficiency and quality. An EIT is preferred, and AutoCAD is a plus.
What does this opportunity offer…You will work with the Standards team and engage consistently with other engineers in Planning, Design, Operations, and Construction to support system reliability. Additionally, you will have the opportunity for growth while learning the engineering, design, and operation of an electric utility, including engineering support for the Water and Gas services.
What a career at Colorado Springs Utilities can offer you…
- The ability to stay ahead of the business curve with our established priority to continually update and incorporate state-of-the-art technology.
- The opportunity to work for a pioneer in providing four utility services in one enterprise with a 100-year reputation for integrity.
- A work culture dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and synergy.
- The stability vital for growth-oriented careers.
- Additionally, Colorado Springs Utilities offers a comprehensive benefits program to help you and your family protect your health and financial security.
- Voluntary Wellness Program
- Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Personal leave
- Sick Leave
- Jury Duty
- Vacation Buy
- Colorado PERA Pension
- Retirement Saving Programs
- PERA 401(k)
- PERA Roth 401(k)
- ICMA Roth IRA
- ICMA 457
- ICMA 457 Roth
- Educational Assistance
- Additional Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Long-Term Care Insurance
Join a diverse team of high performers who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community and tap into the power of your potential!