Commonwealth Care Alliance is seeking two summer Innovation Fellows to join its Innovation and Winter Street Ventures (WSV) team. Fellows will work closely with Innovation and WSV to identify, research, invest in, deploy and evaluate potential programs, products, and technologies that address the complex care needs of our members and the operational imperatives of our organization. The Innovation Fellows will have the opportunity to work on both innovation initiatives and venture investments, gaining deep experience at the forefront of healthcare innovation and investment and developing an understanding of the needs and challenges of vulnerable populations.
This will be a full-time role over the summer for a minimum of ten weeks beginning in May or June, though there is the option of extending the length of the fellowship. Additionally, the fellow may have the option to continue on part-time after returning to school in the fall. The role is currently expected to be virtual, though if CCA deems it safe to return to the office, the fellow will have the opportunity to work with the team in CCA’s Boston office. Specific duties for the Innovation Fellows include:
· Help identify and assess internal needs for and opportunities to leverage innovation
· Help identify and evaluate emerging companies that can address core organizational needs
· Research and write about emerging trends in healthcare and technology; conduct market scans and competitive analyses
· Coordinate with operations, project management and finance to help monitor and support proposed and in-flight projects
· Support due diligence of potential investments and partners
· Participate in and lead team meetings; help produce agendas and minutes
· Flex into workstreams in tangential areas including virtual care and/or clinical strategy as appropriate and necessary
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· Must be currently pursuing Master’s or Doctorate degree (preferably MBA, MHA/MPH and/or MD)
· A minimum of 2 years’ professional experience in either a business or clinical setting
Knowledge & Skills
· Strong understanding of the changing healthcare landscape, along with a familiarity with healthcare technology and/or venture capital
· Ability to excel within with a diverse and multi-disciplinary team
· Excellent problem-solving and organizing skills
· Strong communication, interpersonal and networking skills
· Ability to research, write and present effectively, instill trust and drive engagement
· Strong proficiency with MS Office software
About Commonwealth Care Alliance:
Commonwealth Care Alliance® (CCA) is the not-for-profit, community-based healthcare organization whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of people with significant needs by innovating, coordinating and providing the highest quality, individualized care. CCA is a nationally recognized leader in providing care for high-cost, high-needs individuals through a proven model that improves quality and health outcomes while reducing overall costs of care. In Massachusetts, CCA’s two health plans serve close to 34,000 members who are dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare, and for three consecutive years, CCA’s One Care plan earned a top rating from a consumer survey conducted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
About Winter Street Ventures:
Winter Street Ventures is the for-profit healthcare innovation accelerator and venture investment affiliate of Commonwealth Care Alliance® (CCA) that partners with early-stage entrepreneurs to take healthcare technology, devices, and services from concept to marketplace.
To apply, please submit your resume and a one-page pitch for a company or an investment thesis for a healthcare investment area (Word or PowerPoint) that you think would have relevance as an investment to Commonwealth Care Alliance.