Position Number: 2
Program Name: DCR Marketing and Communications
Location/Address: 251 Causeway Street / Remotely
Duration: January 24 – April 8, 2022
Brief Description of Internship Position:
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a dynamic communications and marketing team while also having the chance to initiate your own projects. We are looking for a part-time (20 hours per week) spring intern who cares about the environment and is passionate about storytelling. If this describes you, we want you to join us in telling good stories about the work that we do at DCR. As part of DCR Press you will be involved in many projects and leave our office with a portfolio of communications and marketing projects that you have worked on while with us.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor DCR-related media coverage; including daily gathering and distribution of statewide and national news clips.
- Assist with daily compiling of end-of-day reports detailing media interactions for DCR for the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA).
- Write social media posts, draft web content.
- Help develop and manage timeline for producing a social media content calendar each month.
- Support video production efforts.
- Assist in the planning and promotion of DCR’s public events.
- Research conservation protection issues as well as trends in recreation.
- Monitor competitors’ marketing efforts and report on best practices.
- Help develop communication/marketing plans.
- Assist with day-to-day office functions, which may include responding to consumer inquires via phone, mail, or email.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Currently enrolled in a college degree program in marketing, communications, journalism, digital advertising, graphic design, information design, video production, or related major.
- Past internship experience or project work in digital advertising, social media, video production, journalism is preferred.
- Writing and copyediting skills needed: ability to adapt writing style for various audiences.
- Social media management experience – able to be trusted to post and respond in a professional voice.
- Experience with videography and/or photography preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs required.
- Graphic design skills as applied in Adobe Creative suite (e.g.like Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere) helpful.
- Proven ability in project or content management, planning, and coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to juggle and make progress on multiple priorities
- Prior work, internship or co-op experience in a progressive corporate environment a plus.
- Must meet the internship program eligibility requirements of the current college/university’s academic department and student must be approved by the college/university to participate in the internship program.
- Must be able to work Eastern Time Zone business hours Monday-Friday.
Hours per week: 20
Other relevant information:
- The Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) is the largest landowner in the state, managing close to 500,000 acres of property in the majority of the 351 cities and towns throughout the state, including state parks, forests, beaches, historic sites, reservoirs, watersheds, campgrounds, recreational facilities, and more. DCR refers to this vast portfolio of assets as the “common wealth.” DCR’s mission is to protect, promote and enhance these natural, cultural, and recreational resources for the well-being of all. In meeting today’s responsibilities and planning for tomorrow, DCR’s focus is on: improving outdoor recreational opportunities and natural resource conservation; restoring and improving our facilities; expanding public involvement in carrying out DCR’s mission; and, establishing first-rate management systems and practices.
- This internship provides an opportunity to gain practical work experience in public administration. As an intern, you will be engaged in a variety of projects, and responsible for delivering results, both as an individual and as a member of a team. We welcome your fresh perspective and energy, as you gain experience in a state government environment. This is a great opportunity to launch your career!