Community Action Agency of Somerville (CAAS) seeks a dynamic self-starter to assist in our communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications work within a diverse and fast paced social justice environment. The CAAS Communications Internship is a professional skills internship to assist the Communications and Development Manager in implementing organizational communications strategies and goals. The Communications Intern will work independently and across different departments to fulfill organizational goals and initiatives related to programming and events.
● Firm grasp of social media tools and platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
● Completed or working toward a college degree (junior level and up), preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Advertising or Public Relations).
● Previous internship or related experience in communications is a plus.
● Previous experience with event planning is a plus.
● Understanding of the basic principles of public relations and/or marketing.
● Must be computer literate (working knowledge of Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel).
● Proficiency in Hootsuite, Microsoft Publisher, Canva, Adobe DC, and Photoshop is highly desired.
● Possess excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
● Self-starter, good time management, creative, with the ability to communicate in a professional manner.
● Ability to research posts for programs by routinely checking relevant websites, including relevant hashtags.
● Ability to “project manage” – keep to schedule and keep track of details.
● Ability to work well independently, and within a team.
● Assist with social media promotion for our 40th Anniversary event in November 2021, including working with the Manager on a live broadcast for our 40th with the Somerville Media Center.
● Complete a procedure manual to document social media processes
● Assist with the creation of a staff “photo album” for internal use.
● Collaborate with CAAS agency partners on communications efforts when applicable.
● Assist in planning, writing and managing e-blasts and e-newsletters.
● Design event/program fliers, graphics and other marketing material.
● Provide input for creative marketing strategies and social media campaigns.
● Create online advertisements as needed.
● Update organization website with current events, relevant news, etc.
● Update and maintain CAAS’ social media presence, including weekly monitoring, posting, and scheduling.
● Manage editorial and event calendars.
● Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communications.
● Assist Executive Director with administrative projects as needed.
Start Date: Beginning of fall 2021 semester
Hours: 10-12 hours/week, including weekly planning meeting with supervisor