CLSEPA’s Housing program is seeking a current law student for a part-time unpaid internship. The Housing Law Clerk will work closely under the supervision of CLSEPA attorneys to provide legal assistance to tenants facing a variety of housing issues including eviction, unsafe living conditions, and unlawful rent increases. The law clerk may also draft legal research projects and community outreach and education materials regarding tenants’ rights. The law clerk will receive training and mentorship from CLSEPA attorneys throughout the internship as well as the opportunity to build a portfolio of written work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide legal assistance to clients under the supervision of an attorney including conducting client intake and interviews, drafting letters and documents, negotiating with opposing parties and attorneys, filling out legal forms with clients, and assisting with court filings and other litigation-related tasks.
2. Assist with and participate in community outreach and education.
3. Conduct legal research into tenants’ rights issues and summarize findings in legal briefs or memoranda.
Desired KnowKnowledge, Skills, & ledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to serving low-income and under-served communities and the mission of CLSEPA
- Ability to relate to, communicate and collaborate with a broad range of clients and colleagues
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Applications, and Dropbox
- Written and oral proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred
- Current law school enrollment required