Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, a non-profit organization, offers legal services that improve the lives of low-income families in East Palo Alto and beyond. We specialize in housing, immigration, workers’ rights, reentry, and consumer law. We combine policy, advocacy, and impact litigation with direct legal services. Our impact is magnified by the support we receive from hundreds of impassioned volunteers at law firms, corporations, and law schools. We have six offices throughout the Peninsula.
CLSEPA attorneys represent immigrants in a variety of affirmative and defensive proceedings. We specialize in a wide range of immigration cases, including asylum, U visas for victims of crime, VAWA petitions for domestic violence victims, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and more. In addition, we respond to certain urgent requests for help when immigrants have ICE holds or are detained, and have a robust removal defense practice. We also engage in additional advocacy for youth, ranging from mass presentations at schools and other locations to individual case representation. The immigration program at CLSEPA aims to engage law students both new to immigration and those able to work on more advanced projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare client declarations and documentation in support of applications for relief, such as U visas, VAWA, SIJS, Asylum, etc. (under attorney supervision)
- Draft legal memos, briefs, and motions on a range of immigration issues
- Attend immigration hearings and assist CLSEPA Attorneys serving as Attorney of the Day.
- Assist at CLSEPA’s intake clinics and asylum workshops
- Participate in community outreach and education events
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required
- Fluent in Spanish
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to serving low-income and under-served communities and the mission of CLSEPA
- Ability to relate to, communicate and collaborate with a broad range of clients and colleagues
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Applications, and Dropbox
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines
- Second-year law students and students with immigration experience are highly encouraged to apply