RESEARCHER/ANALYST: Fintech and Asset Management Services
Junior or mid-level
Core Capital is an investment management and scientific research firm established in 2004 upon a unique combination of academic and practitioner experience. Aiperion is a next generation fintech business formed by Core Capital and its long standing technology partner, Fortech. At both Core and Aiperion, new tech is not only employed to improve the use of financial services, but also to change the way investors think about risk. Our scientific work reaches the client through investing services, including portfolio construction and risk consulting, as well as advanced technology/software.
Core Capital and Aiperion are based in Chicago. Our team is diverse on many dimensions, including professional background, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, and love for mathematics. We actively encourage diversity, being certified woman-owned businesses ourselves. We are dedicated to becoming outstanding partners for our clients, constantly evolving our services, our technology and the way we invest for their benefit.
Job location: Chicago, IL. or remotely
You will be part of an entrepreneurial team executing a plan to rapidly grow both the portfolio/risk counseling and fintech business. You will be challenged to identify client’s unsolved problems and help solve them. You are an analytical, intellectually curious person, who will collaborate with key stakeholders and partners. Last but not least, you strongly believe in the role of scientific innovation, AI and technology in finance.
You want to perform analytical work in a unique environment where practical asset management is truly merged with scientific inquiry. You have an analytical spirit which is mathematical, but not purely so; your ability to merge qualitative and quantitative critical thinking is of utmost importance. You also enjoy interacting with people, and have a strong inclination towards out-of-the-box, creative thinking. You are willing to take initiative and enjoy thinking every day, a lot. Our research-based framework evolves continuously through the introduction of new concepts, methods and tools; you enjoy contributing to it as much as you enjoy explaining it consultatively to clients.
This role requires an important mathematical foundation, which needs to be combined with solid knowledge of capital markets, investment management and, particularly important, financial instruments including derivatives.
The role is unique as it merges three equally important aspects: practical investing (mostly through external managers but also via direct investments, including derivatives), risk consulting (execution of commissioned projects and studies) and cutting edge scientific research in portfolio and risk management.
As such, you will not only work on advanced mathematical modeling of investment portfolios but also source, due diligence, model and monitor hedge funds, private equity funds and direct investments. You will offer support for modeling consultancy and investment risk optimization for pension funds, foundations, universities, as well as other investors. You will be involved in in-house R&D, including AI.
By working with customers, the Managing Partner/CEO and the product development team, you will help shape the future of the way portfolio management is understood in the investment community.
· Perform risk modelling of investments/ portfolios using the AIPERION risk framework and its own software platform (RiskKey)
· Source, due diligence, evaluate and monitor alternative investments: hedge funds (especially niche strategies and credit), opportunistic funds and/or direct investments by conducting qualitative and quantitative due diligence including interviewing fund managers both offsite and onsite and developing investment theses.
· Support the R&D team in its scientific research projects
· Perform consultancy projects involving modelling and/or optimization of investment risks for various global institutional clients
· In time, expect to receive the responsibility for consultancy projects
· Support the Managing Partner/CEO, the scientific team and the customer success team with various analyses, reports, data integrity and data management
· Improve and run investment reports for in house portfolios and consultancy clients
· Interact with clients in various stages such as onboarding, data gathering, delivery
· Support the R&D and software development teams in specifications and testing
· Excellent knowledge of markets and financial instruments, especially financial derivatives is a prerequisite
· Strong knowledge of mathematics and statistics or physics
· Experience or completed courses in: financial markets; pricing methods of financial instruments, including derivatives; portfolio management; financial analysis; mathematics and statistics; macroeconomics
· Undergraduate or graduate degree in financial engineering, business administration, economics, physics or similar, with advanced finance, applied mathematics or statistics courses
· Experience in capital markets or research in financial instruments is a plus
· Candidates who are enrolled in master or PhD courses in finance/financial instruments are accepted. Exceptional candidates who are in the last year of Bachelor’s study are also accepted. In these cases non-full time schedules can be agreed based upon school demands.
· No software development experience or artificial intelligence knowledge is needed. However, proficiency programming in Excel and in at least one statistical package is a prerequisite.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Explain to us why this opportunity interests you. Applications with thoughtful cover letters will be given priority.