The Intern, Permitting & Development is responsible for providing development, permitting and real estate support to the Site Development Team. The position reports to the Director, Permitting. This is a PAID internship and the position will provide support for the Summer 2021. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants hands on, real work experience at a renewable energy company.
Principal Responsibilities/Key Results Areas
- Support the Site Development Team in securing all discretionary permits required to construct and operate utility-scale power plant projects.
- Investigate and outline the permitting process in varying jurisdictions worldwide, including application requirements, fees, anticipated approval timelines, required studies and the likelihood of securing the required permits.
- Prepare and update MS Project schedules in order to outline and track the status of permitting processes. Coordinate with the Scheduling Team in the development of comprehensive project schedules.
- Assist in the development of permitting strategies and public outreach efforts.
- Coordinate with internal departments and external consultants to produce plans and reports required for environmental and other land use permit applications. Perform a detailed quality control and content review of these documents prior to submission to outside parties.
- Assist the Site Acquisition Team with the identification, assessment, and contracting efforts required to secure land for project sites and easements, including drafting offer letters and reviewing and resolving real estate issues.
- Perform general administrative tasks as needed.
Financial & Organizational Scope
- Indirect financial impact related to projects.
Reporting Relationships & Interactions
- The position reports to the Director, Permitting.
- Will provide support to other members of Permitting team.
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and strategic thinking skills; ability to add value through creative input and forward-thinking.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with exceptional organizational and planning skills.
- Self-starter who initiates tasks proactively with minimal direction.
- Bright, enthusiastic individual interested in learning about, and working in, the dynamic renewable energy industry.
- Ability to uphold standards of complete discretion and confidentiality and exercise good judgment on day-to-day decisions.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Schedule, Internet Explorer and Adobe Acrobat.
Experience & Education
- Minimum of at least 2 years of coursework working toward a Bachelor’s degree or any amount of coursework experience working towards a Graduate or MBA degree.
- Working toward a degree in Environmental Studies, Natural Resources, Policy, Land Planning or related field preferable.
- Interest in renewable and/or solar energy.
- Pay will be based on location and level of degree being pursued.
- Start and end date is flexible.