Reporting to the Performance Engineering Manager, the Performance Engineer is responsible for energy modelling, optimization, and technical diligence across all life-cycle stages of Recurrent Energy’s pipeline of PV and PV+S assets. Additional responsibilities may include contributions to technical exhibits for EPC contracts as well as interfacing with external technical counterparties, and technical teams across Recurrent and Canadian Solar.
Principle Responsibilities/Key Results Areas
- Perform solar resource analysis, energy modelling and system performance optimization workflows for a 4GW+ pipeline of PV and PV+S projects
- Work with Development team to assess feasibility of early-stage projects in siting campaigns and M&A efforts, and drive value optimization of project portfolios by assessing technical trade-offs
- Work with Origination and Structuring team to set expected energy and guarantee levels for offtake contracts for a variety of contract structures
- Energy storage modelling and optimization in conjunction with Energy Storage team
- Coordinate with equipment manufacturers to understand equipment performance and assist Procurement team in system equipment selection to maximize project value
- Interface with vendors for met station campaigns, solar resource data and other external resources utilized in energy modelling workflows
Reporting Relationships & Interactions
- Reports to Performance Optimization Manager
- Interfaces externally with EPCs, IEs and other technical advisors, OEs, consultants, and vendors.
- Interfaces internally with variety of commercial and technical teams within Recurrent and Canadian Solar
Knowledge & Skills
- Experienced with PVsyst modelling
- Understanding of solar resource analysis
- Understanding of PV uncertainty, p number analysis, and applicability to PV and PV+S product offerings
- Familiarity with PV equipment and site related loss factors (degradation, module thermal performance, IAM, soiling etc.)
- Familiarity with performance acceptance testing (bifacial system capacity tests, etc.)
- Familiarity with energy storage modelling, preferred, including trade-offs of DC coupled/ AC coupled system architectures, optimization of PV+S systems
- Good grasp of scripting languages a plus
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s in engineering, meteorology or other technical field required.
- Advanced technical degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years experience with performance engineering and optimization activities in utility scale solar.