Software Engineering Intern
During a typical week on the Software Engineering team, you will…
- Balance squashing of bugs and under-the-covers improvements alongside new features.
- Communicate clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences, whether it is a Slack message, Trello comment, email, or GitHub comment.
- Work on some of the most difficult and critical problems that the company encounters.
- Merge your latest feature that will drive safety and efficiency for our sites.
- Present what you have learned or shipped during a weekly demo session.
Cumulus developers have end-to-end control over our mobile and web user experiences. Developers gain experience building an innovative mobile app and distributing it to iOS and Android users. In addition, you will work with OEM manufacturers to help integrate smart tools with Cumulus’s platform.
At Cumulus, we take a full-stack development approach with collective code ownership. You and your team will work across the stack to deliver meaningful impact to the customer. We build on Function as a Service so that we can concentrate on building business value. A single engineer can create a back-end feature, integrate it with the app, and demo it to the customer, all within one sprint. As a startup, we are building from the ground up.
Cumulus Interns can look forward to valuable projects that gain good software development experience. Interns are integrated with the engineering team and participate in daily stand-ups and biweekly retrospectives. Interns have ownership of a project and meet on a regular basis with a mentor. You will get to give two presentations about your project to the company.
Past intern projects included:
· Create an API to allow customers to integrate with Cumulus data
· Prototype a data-lake with Snowflake
· Data-mining to get insights into individual and group productivity
· Create hardware simulators of 3rd party devices to test and demo Bluetooth integrations
· Add tracing to Cumulus’s FaaS infrastructure
· Add features to Cumulus’s React and React Native applications
We will adapt our projects to the skills and preferences of the interns, as well as the business needs. We don’t know yet what projects we’ll have next summer, but here are a few ideas:
· Create a customizable flange attribute calculator using Prolog
· Computer Vision Flange Detection Proof of Concept
· Implement an ROI calculator using React
· Create a data-set generator to help with sales
· Add a punchlist module to track changes requested on completed work
· Bluetooth mesh networking
The successful candidate for Software Engineering Intern will have the following traits and qualifications:
- Candidate pursuing a degree in computer or data science is preferred, however other relevant degrees will be considered
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Systems-thinker, can think strategically as well as tactically
- Previous employment/internships writing software with a team a plus, but not required