Filene Research Institute, Madison, WI
Note: The position will begin in a remote capacity and transition to in-person at a future date.
Please include both your resume and a cover letter.
Flexible – Start summer of 2021 at full-time and extend through the academic year until May 2022 at part time
The Research Intern will have the opportunity to work with the research team at the Institute. The Intern will be introduced to information regarding the credit union system and its position in the consumer finance ecosystem, especially in the United States and Canada. Filene plays an important role in this ecosystem, leveraging research, incubation, innovation, and business partnerships to reimagine consumer financial well-being, transform cooperative finance, and make a difference in people’s lives.
Reporting to the Research Project Manager, the Research Intern will work closely with entire Research Team to support the entire research project supply chain, beginning with stakeholder relationship management, content assessment, production, and through to final publication. The Intern’s time will be divided across a range of research projects and require effective time management and organizational skills to guide a fast-paced research output. In addition, the Intern is expected to work collaboratively with the research team and other partners as well as independently. Additional credit union system learning outside Filene will also be considered and assigned, time permitting.
The Research Intern will:
· Function as project manager and executor with responsibility for supporting research outputs across a number of content areas including DEI, consumer financial well-being, data analytics, and emerging technologies.
· Work with the research team to assess research findings and write compelling research outputs and ancillary products (slide decks, workshop guides, etc.).
· Learn about consumer and cooperative finance, practice the basics of research in financial services, and build portfolio-worthy projects.
· Assist with a variety of other projects and tasks that help Filene advance credit unions’ understanding of consumer finance.
· Effectively maintain data and physical and electronic storage for applicable materials (research outputs, files, product samples, project folders, etc.).
The statements above are not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties will be assigned as needed.
The Research Intern must be a current and active university student: Junior, Senior, or Graduate level. The Research Intern must also demonstrate:
· The ability to learn and embody Filene’s vision and mission and the values of cooperative finance.
· Self-motivation and autonomy as well as collaboration.
· The ability to prioritize work assignments and multi-task in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
· The ability to work effectively with the Filene team, credit unions, and consumer finance partners.
· Strong interpersonal and written and oral communication skills, including the ability to summarize ideas clearly and write strong copy.
· Quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills. Data analytics skills a plus.
· Process and project management skills along with the ability to identify and execute improvements as needed.
· Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
· Ability to manage workload to aggressive deadlines.
· Ability to be flexible in duties.
· Ability to work with Mac technology and Microsoft Office.
Basic knowledge of financial services and/or project management and prior experience with quantitative and/or qualitative market-facing research are helpful.
CUNA Mutual Group’s insurance, retirement and investment products provide financial security and protection to credit unions and their members worldwide. As a dynamic and growing company, we strive to create a culture of performance, high standards and defined values. In return for your skills and contributions, we offer highly competitive compensation and benefit packages, significant professional growth, and the opportunity to win and be rewarded.
Please provide your Work Experience and Education or attach a copy of your resume. Applications received without this information may be removed from consideration.