2021 CURENT Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) virtual summer internship
CURENT, an engineering research center located at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, offers undergraduate students the chance to complete an in-depth research internship with faculty. Students will work on various research topics. More specifically, these projects will investigate:
- power systems
- power electronics and drives
- alternative energy sources
- cyber security & smart grid
- energy storage
- control and communication
- power transmission
- large data analytics and visualization
- distributed and collaborative visualization
- power market structures
- fault resiliency through robust collaboration among local controllers
During the internship, each student will customize their own research based on personal interests by working closely with faculty and graduate students throughout an eight week summer program.
The program will culminate with a poster presentation to faculty, graduate students and fellow researchers to highlight each individual’s work.
Why Come to CURENT?
- One of the Largest and Top Power Engineering Programs in the Country
- Learn about the roles that an Engineering Research Center has with National Research Labs, Industry Associations, Private Industry Research, and Research Universities.
- Introduce yourself to a graduate school styled research program that encourages all REU students to apply for CURENT and DOE Fellowships for graduate study.
- CURENT Assistantships – $30,000 annually
- DOE Wide Bandgap Traineeship – $30,000 annually (fellowship)
Please note: this is not a corporate internship. CURENT is funded by the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy, as well as industry partners, but this is a research-focused internships within an academic institution (the University of Tennessee).