Cytokinetics is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing first-in-class muscle activators and next-in-class muscle inhibitors as potential treatments for debilitating diseases in which muscle performance is compromised and/or declining. As a leader in muscle biology and the mechanics of muscle performance, the company is developing small molecule drug candidates specifically engineered to impact muscle function and contractility. We take a purpose-driven approach by leveraging our unique muscle biology expertise to engineer compounds with specific characteristics aimed at treating diseases that impact muscle function, like heart failure, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, ALS and SMA.
At Cytokinetics we are dedicated to supporting the next generation of biotech professionals through our annual Cytokinetics Internship Program. We believe that investing in enthusiastic students and recent graduates brings fresh perspectives and insights to our teams and we take pride in providing opportunities to contribute to meaningful projects. Through our Internship Program we aim to provide a challenging and rewarding experience to build a strong foundation for a career in the biopharmaceutical industry.
This is a paid internship at our South San Francisco headquarters. The program is for approximately 10-12 weeks beginning in late May/early June.
The summer intern will support the strategic planning needs for deployment of the customer facing commercial organization. Specific responsibilities will vary based upon the business needs. Projects for the intern include:
- Primary: Benchmark study: Identify similar size companies to Cytokinetics and provide information on the customer facing organization. The project includes bench research and an opportunity to engage contracted vendors (e.g., TGaS, ZS). Specifics to include:
- Product(s) and Target Audience(s) (size of the audiences, if possible)
- Organization structure (focus on areas such as sales, TLLs, managed care, other). NOTE: if necessary, alignment with the brand marketing/customer marketing teams would be useful
- Size of team and leadership models
- If possible, incentive compensation structure and approach – especially for a new product launch
- Develop a central repository of companies commercializing CV and metabolic medicines in the US. Companies range from Astra Zeneca to Vifor. Data will include size of sales teams and pipeline information.
- Secondary – if time permits, a Managed Care project: This project would include a combination of data analysis, Health Economics analysis, and partnering with KOLs to develop a mock P&T formulary review of omecamtiv mecarbil. Feedback would help inform the customer facing institution and managed care teams. Specifics to include:
- Identifying the agenda
- Identifying KOLs to attend the meeting
- Working with compliance to develop contracts for the KOLs
- Identifying Cytokinetics individuals to present the information
- Compiling notes from the meeting
- Presenting meeting highlights
Our preference is to identify an individual that is more senior in their student career (e.g., in their senior year of school). We would like individuals with the following skills:
- Strong Communications (writing and presenting)
- Research Savvy – computer skills searching the web and market research reports
- Ability to solve problems
- Strong Organization Skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong work ethic
- Experience with Microsoft (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to be coached (learning/adaptability)
- Self-management – ability to work on their own
Cytokinetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer