Dance for Humanity – Spring-Summer Internship
Dance for Humanity is a Boston-based, early-stage, small business looking for a Spring-Summer Intern with a passion for dance, an entrepreneurial spirit, and an interest in dance being used for philanthropy and as a vehicle to create a more regenerative world for individuals, communities and the environment.
This is a phenomenal opportunity to get experience with business development and artistic direction for a dance-based business making a positive impact in the world. Help build a sustainable start-up from the ground up with direct guidance, mentorship and support from the Founder/Director, Jen Earls.
Mission, Values, Founder’s Story and Bio on website: https://dance4humanity.com/about/
Support to Director needed for following day-to-day operations:
- Helping Build a Sustainable Business Model: Connect with/collect feedback from audience and help brainstorm on building a sustainable, scalable model out of classes, performance projects, and philanthropic initiatives.
- Coordinating Global Performance Project: Seasonal project with group of community dancers co-creating and performing a dance to raise awareness of and resources for an ecosocial cause. Spring 2021 performances will be dedicated to supporting a New York-based regenerative farm working on uprooting racism in the food system. Get experience with artistic direction and coordination of shows, and with social media to expand small business and cause visibility.
- Launching new Online Weekly Women’s “Desire Dance” Session: Wednesdays, 7-8am EST to support women’s full self-expression, wellbeing, and confidence via dance in community. Get experience with co-facilitating sessions (if interested) and creative ways to promote for business growth.
Desired Qualifications & Personality Traits
- Passion for dance: previous dance experience (taking class, performing, or teaching) preferred, but not required; don’t have to be an expert – mainly passion for dance.
- Co-creative: positive, enthusiastic, believe in possibilities, open to jamming on ideas together.
- Resourceful: takes initiative; i.e., can make a call about or research online to find a system to improve business.
- Honest & Mature: can communicate if you need help; open to constructive feedback.
- A Connector: willing to reach out and engage others for help with shows or invite people to classes or events.
- Organized: can track your work and notes in Google Docs, Excel, etc.
- Care about balance and wellbeing: health of self, individuals, communities, and environment.
- Sustainable Business Planning: meet weekly with Director to help hone business model and promotion strategy to shape it into a sustainable, scalable venture.
- Social Media Posting & Personal Invitations: 1) help make posts on Dance for Humanity social media, such as Instagram Reels or Instagram and Facebook Stories, Live Videos, Posts, etc. 2) send personal messages via social media and email to invite list of people to classes and events.
- Performance Co-Coordination: help Director set-up 3 small pop-up shows planned outside in downtown Boston area for Saturday, June 26 with rain date of Sunday, June 27. Mainly support logistics and promotion. It would be great if you could be present at these shows, however, remotely helping support coordination leading up to them would be fine too.
- Professional Video & Photoshoot Coordination: Planned for June 12-13 an hour west of Boston to capture dance routine on video to be shared online to raise awareness of and funds for our cause; It would be great if you could be present (we can find you transportation if needed), however, remotely helping support coordination leading up to it would be fine too.
- Donation Coordination: help manage GiveButter fundraising platform and campaign to accept donations from audiences to support the cause(s) we are performing for.
- Playlist Creation: help create a playlist for weekly women’s “Desire Dance” sessions.
- Business Back-End Tasks: help with various aspects of business as needed/if time, including coordinating creation of marketing materials (business cards, flyers, etc.), possibly accounting (if there’s interest), emails to partners, vendors, or dancers; researching systems to make business more efficient. This really depends on your skills and interests.
- Begin as soon as you’re available! Ideal start date would be sometime in early May.
- Can commit at least through end of August; can possibly stay longer if there is a mutual fit.
Hours (final schedule to be decided during conversation with Director to fit everyone’s needs)
- At least 10-12 hours/week (pending discussion with Director; can be more if desired and it’s a fit).
- Flexible schedule (ideally Monday-Wednesday, sometime between 10am-5pm EST, but open to flex); ideally, we’d have a Monday meeting to strategize and then, we can flex as needed. Note: We currently have a class Tuesday evenings, 6-7:15 p.m. EST and Wednesday mornings 7-8am EST. It is not required that you attend, but would love to have you!
- Ideally work from home in Boston, MA area. Can meet up at times in person if COVID safe.
- OR – can be remote/out of state if able to meet EST hours. Just specify in Cover Letter. Thanks!
- If it’s possible to get funding and/or credit through your institution, that would be preferred.
The following can be part of the exchange, if you’re interested:
- Free Career/Life Coaching sessions: Up to 1 hr. every other week with Jen Earls, Director who has 10 years of professional Career/Life coaching experience, including at MIT.
- Mentorship on Authentic Dance Facilitation/Teaching, Artistic Direction, and Entrepreneurship.
How to Apply / Application Deadline
- If interested, please send Resume and Cover Letter to Director, Jen Earls through Handshake. If you have any questions about the role, feel free to call Jen at 978-790-3588 to talk about it before applying.
- No firm deadline; looking for best-fit candidate with preference for those who can start sooner (ideally early-mid May). Will review applications on rolling, first-come, first-served basis. Thank you!
Dance for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff and members.