Interested applicants must apply via our webpage, please click here.
Location: New York
Department: Corporate Legal Assistants
Reports to: Corporate Coordinator – Tax
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9:30 am to 5:30 pm (overtime as required)
Davis Polk is currently seeking entry-level Corporate Legal Assistants for our Tax Department. We are seeking candidates with strong academic credentials. Education/experience in quantitative subjects, such as Economics, Business or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) is a plus. Successful candidates will have an opportunity to gain an understanding of a niche area of tax law.
Corporate Legal Assistants – Tax assist attorneys as they advise financial institutions on tax aspects of numerous types of structured products transactions. The structured products include equity, commodity, and currency linked products. The legal assistants also assist with discrete tax projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Revise, proofread and distribute tax disclosures and other transactional documents
- Draft correspondence and documentation with accuracy under attorney supervision
- Gather, organize, and maintain precedent collections
- Conduct factual research assignments
- Monitor the filing of documents with the Internal Revenue Service
- Maintain an organized directory and database of all structured products transactions
- Steer transaction through various stages of review and correctly incorporate all comments
- Keep attorneys informed as to transaction status, deadlines and any changes
- Interface with client regarding information necessary for the tax analysis, tax disclosure and/or tax forms, including risk of loss and other representations regarding the transaction and the issuer’s “comparable yield.”
- Establish positive working relationships with the shelf team
- Ability to manage a varied workload, meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other applications as needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work collaboratively with attorneys and staff, demonstrating strong teamwork
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to proofread typed material for typographical, spelling and grammatical errors
- Ensure confidentiality of all the Firm’s and clients’ documentation and information
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record is required.