Dentons Davis Brown is seeking an experienced Paralegal/Investigator to join our Des Moines, IA office in the Labor & Employment department. This hybrid remote/in-office full-time position will work closely with employment law attorneys and clients to provide highly skilled and professional case management, document processing, investigation and research assistance. An experienced candidate is preferred, but consideration will be given to an enthusiastic, self-starter willing to learn and start their legal career. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills, the ability to remain calm under pressure, and to work independently in a fast-paced environment, while also working collaboratively with a high-energy and highly motivated team of professionals serving clients across many industries and locations.
· Support employment attorneys with general case management and complex litigation matters.
· Prepare drafts of documents, as appropriate, such as letters, memoranda, answers, pleadings, motions and discovery documents in connection with cases.
· Work with clients and attorneys to ensure exceptional client service in terms of scheduling, communication of updates, and exchange of information in connection with clients’ legal representation.
· Ensure attorneys are aware of pending deadlines, assisting with budgeting, and case reports.
· Assist attorneys with custodial interviews, legal document retention notices, and trial presentation software, including compiling, classifying, reviewing and organizing documents in electronic databases for presentation at hearings or trial.
· Draft, proofread, and update presentations for client trainings or marketing purposes, and legal communication.
· Attend hearings and trials, as requested.
· Conduct investigations to obtain facts; study legal precedent and prepare recommendations, as appropriate.
· Conduct legal research, as appropriate, in various areas as assigned.
· Assist with trial preparation and litigation support tasks, relaying complex and important instructions and messages to attorneys and clients.
· Request, organize and maintain files and records of a confidential, complex or otherwise sensitive nature.
· Manage requests for documents to third parties, including by way of medical record requests, subpoenas, and open records/freedom of information requests.
· Process billable time entry according to firm guidelines.
· Other duties may be assigned to fully meet the requirements of the position and support the team.
· High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree or paralegal certificate preferred
· 3-5 years of experience in labor and employment field, litigation preferred; comparable training includes knowledge of insured risks, claims adjusting, or risk management.
· Knowledge of legal processes (court rules) and employment law including NLRB, EEOC and DOL regulations is ideal
· Strong research and computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office products, as well as the ability to learn required systems, including litigation technology systems
· High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
· Ability to communicate effectively with internal teammates and external stakeholders
· Ability to identify level of urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly
· A self-starter who can work well within a team as well as independently, with or without supervision
· Exceptional organizational and time management skills
· Proficiency in composing, proofreading and editing documents ensuring accuracy, comprehension, and overall grammar and punctuation
· Proven ability to communicate effectively and professionally, providing exemplary customer service
· Exercises the highest level of confidentiality and judgment
· Exceptional attendance and dependability
Dentons Davis Brown offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Dentons Davis Brown is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pursuant to local ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
A background screening is required for the successful candidate.