Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $350 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization which allows MSF to carry out its mission effectively and efficiently.
The Marketing Team is responsible for executing integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal and cultivation campaigns and activities via all communication channels in order to maximize the revenue and increase awareness of MSF’s activities and concerns, expertise and values.
The Digital Marketing internship will provide a practical learning experience to an individual interested in digital marketing / fundraising for an international nonprofit organization.
Under the guidance of the Digital Marketing Manager, the intern will provide administrative support for the creative, production, and fulfillment aspects of digital fundraising campaigns. The Digital Marketing Intern will learn how an organization markets itself to donors and the public via online channels, and about the general activities of a Development department. S/he will also have the opportunity, through working in the office, to learn about MSF’s programs, and how it operates in the United States. This internship is ideal for anyone interested in digital fundraising for a non-profit, as well as the administration of non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Duties can include some or all of the following based on needs:
- Support team in developing campaign materials by managing the review process and by searching media database to select appropriate images for digital channels
- Help maintain Digital Marketing calendars for e-mail and social media advertising
- Generate reports and analyze campaign results
- Help maintain campaign archives
- Support Web Content Coordinator in updating web content
- Coordinate user testing of website and report on results
- Monitor field activities to help appropriately represent MSF in marketing materials via: reading MSF operations and communications reports and updates and regular attendance at information sessions
- Help with meeting scheduling, set up, logistics, and note taking/meeting minutes
- Help process invoices and new vendor documents and contracts
- Filing, data-entry, quality control efforts, and other administrative support tasks
In addition to the above the intern will be assigned to a special project or initiative, typically related to research. A typical project could be to make a competitive analysis of digital marketing in the international relief sector, analyzing what competitors are doing as far as their web design, transaction forms, email communication, social advertising, retargeting, etc. The final scope of the project will be determined between MSF and the intern before the start date.
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Responsible, driven, and able to work independently, with guidance from staff members
- Strong Word skills; excellent verbal and written communication, copy-editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong Excel skills, able to manipulate and quality check large data files
- Strong database skills
- Ability to handle a large volume of work
- Educational background in Marketing, Media, Communications, or other relevant field of study
- Knowledge of, and interest in, international affairs and/or activist background
- Basic knowledge and interest in working with CRM and/or CMS systems
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF
No phone calls or emails please.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
$15 per hour
Working Time (Hours Per Week)
This internship is a work remote opportunity.