Edwards Wastewater Treatment Plant has a design hydraulic capacity of 2.83 MGD and solids loading capacity of 15,100 lbs/day. It serves customers from Avon to Cordillera and treats all solids from entire Eagle River Water and Sanitation service area. We are currently seeking a new Wastewater Operator to join the team and help in the care and maintenance of our processes and assets including 90 pumps, 14 blowers, 50 automated valves, 9 MAU’s, 7 A/C units, 10 foul air fans, 20 exhaust fans, 4 PI units, 4 biofilters, 10 MCC’s, 6 clarifier drives, 2 centrifuges, 2 RDT’s, 1 conveyor, 3 generators, 3 switch gears- Phew! That’s a lot of moving parts to care for, so we are looking for someone with strong mechanical aptitude and maintenance skills who wants to learn about the wastewater treatment process.
The ideal candidate for this role has a heart for community service, strong team values and work ethic to join our team at the Edwards Wastewater Treatment Plant. This position will use a mix of chemistry, biology and maintenance to provide a service to the community by creating and controlling an environment for bacteria and microorganisms to thrive in order to discharge clean and non-polluted water back to the river.
Why work for us? The work you will do as a Wastewater Operator will have an immediate positive environmental impact on our community. Not to mention our excellent benefits, housing program and opportunities for training, certification and development.
The Day to Day:
- OPERATIONS: Operates pumps, motors, sludge equipment, controllers, instrumentation and other equipment. (Cleans precipitates such as grit, solids, trash, and muck from sump, catch basin and grit chamber. Opens and closes gates and valves according to gauge readings or warning lights on equipment. Operates odor control systems.
- ANALYSIS: Collects and calculates wastewater operations and control data including SCADA systems. Makes process control decisions based on lab data and plant observations.
- CHEMISTRY: Collects samples and conducts wastewater laboratory tests.
- BIOLOGY / CHEMISTRY: Collects samples, conducts wastewater laboratory tests, and analyzes data. Make process adjustments and changes in order to discharge an effluent that meets facility permit limits.
- MAINTENANCE: Performs general equipment inspection and maintenance. Performs minor equipment repair and adjustments. Recommends repairs, changes and work orders to Facility Supervisor. Changes chemical containers, delivers needed materials, and performs general plant maintenance and housekeeping.
- TEAMWORK: Serves as shift operator on a rotating basis, as assigned. Recommends and or makes process control changes to meet certain conditions. Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties.
- Must be willing to work overtime, holidays, and weekends. Must be willing to work On Call shifts.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a related science or mechanical field is desired.
- One to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in wastewater related field or wastewater and or environmental sciences.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of basic concepts of math such as probability and statistical inference, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry, concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s license within 30 days of full time employment and be insurable under District’s standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment. A CDL license could be desirable.
- Computer experience necessary to include Windows, Excel, and Microsoft Word programs. SCADA and Microsoft Outlook experience preferred. Must have the ability to learn and adapt to new computer software programs.
- Must possess a Colorado Wastewater Operator Class “D” certification within 12 months of employment, unless a variance is otherwise granted by management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, odorous fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. Unsanitary conditions and equipment. May be exposed to odorous atmospheres for extended lengths of time. May be exposed to certain work environments that are loud.
There are five levels of Wastewater Operator (Trainee, 1, 2, 3, 4) with different titles and pay ranges depending on certifications, knowledge, skills and abilities. Pay range and title depend on certifications and experience. Starting range depends on qualifications but generally falls within the minimum and midpoint of the pay range. Pay ranges for each level are as follows:
· Wastewater Operator Trainee: $18.23 – $23.41
· Wastewater Operator 1: $19.01 – $25.89
· Wastewater Operator 2: $21.03 – $28.79
· Wastewater Operator 3: $23.46 – $32.33
· Wastewater Operator 4: $26.04 – $36.14
Wastewater Operators also receive Wastewater Conditions Supplemental Pay in the form of a lump sum per paycheck. Comprehensive benefits package including health benefits, wellness program, retirement, housing program, and more available to all full-time, year-round employees. Click HERE to learn more.
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
For a full job description, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org by July 27, 2021.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.