The Solar Design Engineer is responsible for performing technical and due diligence activities on a variety of EDPR-NA’s solar prospects as well as acquisition projects ranging throughout the US/Mexico/Canada markets from organization of project site constraints, assessing site feasibility, and carrying out preliminary designs of PV array and PV plus Storage utility scale layouts. Use of modeling software such as NREL SAM and PVSyst will also be required to perform calculations to ensure designs achieve optimal energy production as a function of installed and operational costs. This position will primarily be focused on analyzing projects during the early, mid and late stage phases of the development cycle.
- Coordinate project site constraints such as detailed terrain maps, wetland features, flood zone delineations, and other existing exclusion areas with associated construction limitations and setback requirements (such as transmission lines, wetlands, public roadways, pipelines, etc.)
- Work with AutoCAD to convert and prepare all project site data for integration into detailed conceptual layouts and models of utility-scale solar plants
- Utilize various datasets to create proposed project boundary delineations and exclusion zones
- Work extensively within PVsyst, AutoCAD and other modelling software packages to design conceptual layouts of utility-scale solar farms using value engineering approach in power block sizing, design of cable management and Medium Voltage (MV) AC collection circuits
- Collaborate closely with various departments throughout the development cycle – Project Development, Origination, Procurement, Energy Assessment, Energy Storage Analytics and Engineering and Construction
- Identify opportunities to optimize project return by modifying design parameters such as DC/AC ratio to ensure best Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE)
- Analyze and evaluate new and emerging technologies as part of solar project and hybrid (solar plus storage) design efforts as the market evolves
- Continue supporting internal solar engineering and technical team with leading initiatives to ground in order to further strengthen EDPR’s position both internally and externally
- Provide as needed technical support to transmission and development teams for interconnection applications
- Provide support during the technical due diligence phases of EPC request for proposal (RFP) selection and contracting stages
- Communicate regular and frequent project status updates and other reporting documents
- Communicate information continuously and effectively to cross-functional teams
- Assist in technical vendor reviews and qualifications
- Provide technical support to Procurement for the preparation and execution of solar RFP’s for vendors and contractors
- Additional duties as required
Direct reports: None
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related technical field. Master’s preferred
- 2 – 4 years of design engineering experience with utility scale solar PV systems preferred
- Relevant work experience in the design and development of utility scale solar PV systems
- Experience in ArcGIS software is preferred but not necessary
- Experience in AutoCAD, PVSyst and or other software platforms would be a plus
- Proficient knowledge of full suite of Microsoft Office software; high proficiency in Excel required
- Demonstrates knowledge with solar PV system capacity testing using PVsyst and ASTM E2848-13 standards
- Know how of the solar market such as connections with third party vendors and Independent Engineering (IE’s) preferred, but not necessary.
- Strong knowledge in solar PV modules, trackers and inverters required
- Adequate knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) preferred, but not necessary
- Comfortable working in a fast-moving dynamic environment
- Competency in Analytical Problem Solving, Strong Communication, Customer/Partner Relationships, and Technology Expertise preferred.
- Highly motivated, strong written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal, and teamwork skills
- Strong technical, analytical, and quantitative skills
- Ability to quickly come up to speed on all technical and commercial subjects related to Solar PV projects
- Ability to quickly understand the basics of a variety of subjects relating to renewable energy including civil and electrical engineering designs and detailed drawings, construction-related processes, environmental, and cultural studies.
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to work productively with limited supervision
- Strong time-management skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong interest in environmental issues and renewable energy
- Business acumen skills. Being able to consider the commercial aspects as well in project designs
- Ability and willingness to travel and work extended hours as needed
Physical demands & working conditions:
- Sitting/Standing/Flexibility: Ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment
- Walking: Ability to walk .25 to .5 miles per day, including across unpaved and rough surfaces when on project sites.
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Lifting: Ability to lift items weighing up to 10 pounds
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Tolerance to Extreme Weather Conditions: Ability to work in adverse weather conditions 25% of the time while on project sites
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary
Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field.
2 years: 2 – 4 years of technical project management experience