Mayflower Wind is seeking an enthusiastic individual with an interest in learning about the offshore wind energy industry in Massachusetts. The summer intern will have the opportunity to work in the Public Affairs department at Mayflower Wind, a 50/50 joint venture between Shell and Ocean Winds. This summer position (10 weeks) is anticipated to begin June 7, 2021. This is a paid internship. This position will be partially remote until further notice.
The ideal candidate should have strong local networks in communities of interest, most notably on Cape Cod, the Islands, and/or the South Coast of Massachusetts. During their workday, the Outreach Intern will normally split their time between working from home and traveling to meet with individuals in the local community alongside the Community Liaison Officer.
- Attend local events, converse with community in public settings (e.g. restaurants, civic/school events, etc.), and manage local relationships under the direction of the External Outreach & Communications Manager and Community Liaison Officer.
- Provide on-site support at public events such as setting up signage, making arrangements, fielding participant inquiries, and general troubleshooting.
- Support the writing of reports to summarize meetings and/or issue briefs, as well as prepare collateral for public meetings (e.g. flyers, presentations, booth banners, etc.).
- Provide general support to designated department and departmental managers; assist in administrative tasks as needed.
- Seek to discover community issues and concerns.
- Assist with research of industry topics, events, and trends.
- Periodically travel to satellite field offices.
- Track local news coverage.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current undergraduate (Junior or Senior) or graduate student Ability to work US East Coast hours and travel to local communities as necessary
- Understanding of Microsoft products and/or complementing products preferred.
- Competency in Analytical Problem Solving, Strong Communication, Customer/Partner Relationships, and Technology Expertise preferred
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Eagerness to learn
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced and collaborative working environment
- Be a team player, working well in small and large groups
- Ability to be self-motivated
Physical demands & working conditions:
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary