Check with your Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
Elena’s Light is seeking motivated remote ESL (English as a Second Language) tutors for the Spring of 2021! Tutors will be matched with one student, who they will teach for the entirety of the semester. Some experience teaching ESL or tutoring any subject is appreciated and helpful, but more than anything, a willingness to learn how to tutor ESL is the most important quality – we provide the training, and all the educational materials and support you need to prepare for your role!
Our ESL services were the very first services we offered at Elena’s Light, and we have continued our ESL program since our founding. For a myriad of reasons, ranging from unreliable transportation to the need to provide intensive care to disabled children or family members, many women in the refugee and immigrant community are unable to access ESL classes in the community. Our curriculum is unique compared to traditional ESL classes in that it was designed with accessibility in mind; as such, we focus on teaching the necessary vocabulary that allows refugees and immigrants to embrace their independence and navigate necessary day-to-day encounters, ranging from an exchange with a cashier at the grocery store to communicating with doctors and their children’s educators.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, to make sure access to English Language services are available to all those in need, we provided in-person tutoring in the home setting; we are currently unable to do that, but we are still striving to provide these services however we can, and thus, we have moved our ESL Tutoring Program online, enabling us to offer our services remotely. We focus on necessary vocabulary to allow refugees and immigrants to embrace their independence and navigate necessary day-to-day encounters, ranging from an exchange with a cashier at the grocery store to communicating with doctors and their children’s educators.
The tutor/student relationship is the founding core of the Elena’s Light program. Your tutoring will build program participant self-esteem and help them achieve life-changing milestones. Volunteers are asked to meet the following criteria to be eligible for participation as a tutor:
- Have a valid telephone number.
- Be able to read, write, and speak the English language well enough to communicate clearly both orally and in written form.
- Be willing to tutor at least two (2) hours each week.
- Be able to clearly communicate with both your student and the Elena’s Light Program coordinators in the event that you must miss or reschedule a class.
- Have reliable internet connection for the virtual tutoring sessions.
- Prepare lesson plans that are relevant to the student’s goals; feel free to include creative homework and practice opportunities!
- Demonstrate patience, flexibility, and sensitivity to the needs and abilities of adults who are learning to read and speak English.
- Maintain a portfolio of your student’s achievements.
- Periodically submit progress reports to the Elena’s Light Program Coordinator about these academic and life skill achievements.
- Consistently communicate with the Elena’s Light Program Coordinators about your student’s progress, your experience as a tutor in the ESL Program, and more.
- At least 2 hours per week tutoring your student.
- However long it takes you to prepare your lesson plan and other class materials.
- The occasional program related event – this may include training sessions and other activities, but we will always notify you in advance.