Through a generous grant from the Comcast Foundation and in partnership with the California LGBT Legislative Caucus, EQCAI is sponsoring a four-week intensive virtual fellowship program for six (6) students who have completed at least their first year of undergraduate studies at college or university. The program will begin on Monday, June 14, 2021 and will end on Wednesday, July 14, 2021. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 9, 2021.
Participants will gain valuable insight and experience that includes:
- Placement in a Sacramento legislative office as an intern in a remote role allowing for first-hand experience in the state legislative and budget process;
- Opportunities for close interaction and discussions with leading state policy makers and;
- Training on issues-based organizing and factors/strategies influencing policy makers
What the Fellowship Offers
Stipend: Fellows will each receive a stipend of $1,000 for the four-week period. These funds will be provided in two (2) installments as part of successful completion of components of the program.
Work Placement: The fellows will be remotely placed in a legislative office in Sacramento for four (4) weeks and will be assigned mentors that support the fellows’ work.
Interactions with State Leaders: Through EQCAI partners, fellows will have the opportunity to engage key leaders in various sectors of California’s life and culture. Virtual panels and other remote events will be designed to build community and expand the fellows’ leadership and support network.
Leadership Development & Training: The fellows will receive exposure to the inner workings of California government, the factors influencing policy makers, and current and future policy issues facing California.
Qualifications to Apply
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- You have demonstrated leadership in your community.
- You have completed at least your first year of college and will be returning to studies as a full time undergraduate at an accredited college or university.
- You are committed to participating in the program full time from Monday, June 14, 2021 through Wednesday, July 14, 2021 and to fulfilling all the requirements of the program.
2021 Application and Fellowship Timeline
Monday, March 8, 2021: Application available
Friday, April 9, 2021: Deadline for applications to be received by email/online
Friday, May 7, 2021: Announcement of Fellowship Class of Summer 2021
Monday, June 14, 2021: Fellowship begins: orientation, placement in legislative offices, and beginning of curriculum and training
Wednesday, July 14, 2021: Fellowship ends
Please note that this fellowship is an intensive four-week program with strategically planned activities involving a number of important people. Fellows will have a tightly-scheduled calendar for the duration of the program, and free time may be limited.
Please direct all questions to Chris Records at firstname.lastname@example.org.