Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our approximately 1100 staff members work in 30 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has over 900 consultants, including more than 550 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
The Thermal Sciences Practice is currently seeking a Fire Protection Engineer for our Warrenville, IL office. This person will be responsible for participating in and leading the investigation and analysis of failures including structures, vehicle and wildland fires, explosions, industrial processes, combustion systems, consumer products, appliances and automobiles. Specific duties will include planning and executing experimental test programs, performing engineering calculations and analysis, conducting field work, preparing proposals and technical reports, and presenting findings to clients.
Qualifications for this position include:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Fire Protection Engineering
- Undergraduate background in Chemical engineering or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- Strong technical background in fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, combustion, or another related field
- 2+ years of industry experience, including co-op, work study or internship related to Fire Protection Engineering strongly preferred
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in development of experimental design, construction of experimental apparatus, instrumentation, data acquisition and data analysis
- Hands-on experience in fire protection system design, installation, inspection, testing and maintenance preferred
- Prior experience with prescriptive and/or performance-based analysis and application of NFPA and ICC codes and standards preferred
- Strong desire and ability to tackle a wide variety of problems within and outside direct area of expertise
- Demonstrated leadership skills and proven ability to work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative environment
To learn more about life at Exponent, check out our Graduate Students page at www.exponent.com/careers/grad-students.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Disabled Employer.