Who We Are
FIRST® is the world’s leading youth-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education outcomes and the development of 21st century life skills. For more than 30 years, FIRST has evolved into a global movement by engaging millions of people with a proven game-changer for preparing kids to solve the world’s greatest problems. This legacy and opportunity is as strong and dynamic as ever, as FIRST creates the people who will change the world – today and tomorrow.
About This Role
Combining the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology we are seeking a senior-level developer to build software for our FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC)! As a Senior Software Engineer you will share your technical knowledge in analysis, specification, development, integration, test, debugging, refinement, and implementation. With Gracious Professionalism® you will serve as a technical advisor and staff development mentor.
Our ideal candidate has experience leading teams through the complete development cycle – product definition through release. The candidate in this role excels in reviewing team members work products, participating in design and code reviews, encouraging consistent coding standards and methodologies, and enjoys collaboration.
In return, we promise a fast-paced, exciting, and rewarding environment where you will be part of a team that cares about each other and thrives on each other’s successes. You will work in close collaboration with Strategic Partners to support and foster growth worldwide. You’ll feel good about the future of the world after doing hard work with the talented people at FIRST and will have a front row seat to our life changing programs.
FIRST headquarters is in Manchester, New Hampshire, and we are only looking for candidates based in New England or willing to relocate to New England. Although this role will have the flexibility to work remote, we are looking for candidates who can easily and frequently travel by car to our headquarters during competition season (November – May) or as needed for in person events.
- Develop, test, implement, and support FIRST Robotic Competition (FRC) Field Management System (FMS) hardware and software
- Focusing on UI/UX design, system scalability, reliability, and cloud computing resource integration – design, program, and test FMS software
- Design, develop, and test FRC Game prototypes with a focus on human machine interfaces (HMI)
- Next-gen playing field hardware and software development
- Lead all aspects of design/code reviews and software backlog work items
- Excel at distilling complex patterns and data sets turning them into meaningful/actionable tasks to be executed by FIRST volunteers
- Provide FRC event support and coordinate technical requirements for content streaming to online platforms
- Provide vital customer service to suppliers, teams, community supporters and/or key customer contacts
- Defines tasks for and supervises summer intern
Qualifications and Experience
- BA/BS in engineering with 5 years directly related experience, or a master’s degree and 3 years of experience, or work experience in an engineering related field
- Proficient with or working knowledge of: Visual Studio 2019 (C++, C#) or newer, .NET Framework 4.x and/or .NET Core, WCF, WPF, SQL, Azure cloud deployments
- Solid understanding of serial (RS-232, RS-485) and Ethernet (UDP and TCP/IP protocols)
- Experience with the FIRST Robotics robot control system platform a plus.
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility to travel 5 – 10% depending on the time of the year
Commitment to FIRST® Core Values
Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
Thriving on our core values, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.