Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
As an agency, we are committed to bringing diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) to the center of our business and our culture. We know that there is work to do both inside and outside our walls and we’ve started taking the actions that will sustain our progress and build momentum as we move towards being a more inclusive firm. Reaffirming our commitment to The Alfred Fleishman Diversity Fellowship is one important step that allows us to find, engage and invest in the next generation of diverse talent with a professional interest in advancing DE&I.
During this fellowship, you will have the unique opportunity to support FleishmanHillard’s Client Experience office working on internal programming to help inform and engage client relationship managers. The role includes working on internal communications, events and reporting. It’s a great opportunity to be on the frontlines of our client work and play a meaningful role in the firm’s client experience.
Alfred Fleishman’s Legacy:
Alfred Fleishman, one of our agency’s co-founders, was a strong advocate for equality and civil rights, supporting the Civil Rights Movement in his native St. Louis. We created The Alfred Fleishman Diversity Fellowship to honor this legacy and inspire future generations to use the skills and tools of public relations to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in meaningful ways. The paid fellowships are six-to 12 months in length and include benefits.
In addition to developing practical communications skills while building the foundation of your future career, you will:
- Learn from experts across FleishmanHillard’s global network
- Serve as a key architect of the systems and processes that structure the agency’s DE&I activities
- Contribute to development and planning of select DE&I initiatives
- Write, edit and proofread materials including, but not limited to correspondence with senior leaders, detailed recaps of strategic meetings, promotional collaterals, presentations and executive communications
- Contribute to new business development, including participation in brainstorms and research
- Benefit from the guidance and insight of a personal mentor in the TrueMosaic practice
What You Will Do:
During the fellowship, individuals will have the opportunity to:
- Write, edit and proofread materials in AP style, including press releases, pitch letters, fact sheets, blog posts, website content and client correspondence
- Pitch story ideas to relevant media and participate in brainstorm sessions
- Contribute to the new business process, including research and proposal preparation
- Monitor, research, compile and analyze client media coverage in both online and offline channels
- Be involved in social media projects — from research, copywriting, community management and reporting
- Contribute to agency diversity and inclusion initiatives
- We’re looking for college seniors, recent college graduates and graduate students who have high
- learning agility and critical thinking skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Previous internships or equivalent experiences, at least one of which must be focused on communications, public relations, marketing or advertising
- A strong career interest in communications and diversity, equity and inclusion
- Proven writing and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work a minimum of 30 hours per week
Criteria to Apply:
Your Application Submission Must Include:
- Completed application
- Resume and cover letter
- Two writing samples — news releases, pitch letters, media alerts, newsletter articles, executive summaries, and other relevant writing items; please limit each sample to two pages
As part of advancing DE&I inside our walls, FleishmanHillard has committed to changing the face of our agency making it, and our industry, more representative of the world around us. We believe it is the right thing to do and the smart thing to do for our firm, our clients and the communities where we live and work. We are actively seeking applications from Black, Latinx, and Native American talent as well as from members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
All materials must be submitted online before an application will be considered complete and ready for review.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Does FH provide relocation assistance to fellows? We do not offer financial relocation assistance for the fellowship; however, we do offer information and resources to aid fellows in their housing search.
- Can applicants apply to multiple locations? The program application asks for your top three location preferences, but you may also apply to other locations of interest. In addition, we may contact you to inquire about your interest in locations to which you have not applied if your background aligns with our needs.
- Does FH provide visa sponsorship for fellows? We are unable to provide visa sponsorship for the fellowship. However, we do accept all applicants who are authorized to work in the United States, including those on student visas.
- How many fellowship positions are available? The number of fellows hired each year varies based on office and business needs at that time.
- What is the duration of the fellowship? Fellowships are intended to last a minimum of six months up to one year.
- When will applicants be contacted for interviews? The interview process begins in June and typically concludes with hiring decisions in late August.
- Where should letters of recommendation be sent? If requested, letters of recommendations should be submitted as an attachment and emailed to DiversityFellowship@fleishman.com.
- To whom should application materials be addressed? Materials should be addressed to the AFDF Selection Committee.
- Where do I upload materials? Materials should be uploaded under the resume/attachments section of your online application.
FleishmanHillard is part of the Omnicom Public Relations Group, a division of Omnicom Group Inc., and has more than 85 offices in 30 countries, plus affiliates in 43 countries. Our award-winning agency specializes in public relations, reputation management, public affairs, research and analytics, brand marketing, digital strategy, social engagement and content strategy. We’ve been named PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year and Best Places to Work; a “Standout Agency” on Advertising Age’s A-List; the Human Rights Campaign’s “ Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality; the Human Rights Campaign’s “ Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality; and NAFE’s “Top 50 Companies for Executive Women” for a decade. We’re also more motivated by what we can give than what we receive, with a longstanding worldwide service commitment to support social inclusion in the communities in which we work and live. Visit us at www.fleishmanhillard.com
FleishmanHillard is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, alienage, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local laws.
Please do not contact the office directly to apply – only resumes submitted through this website will be considered. If you need assistance reviewing career opportunities or completing an application, please call 314-982-6283 or email our careers team.