Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses it on various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. Our work takes many forms: from breaking news and social graphics, to longform storytelling to 360 design for annual tentpole Forbes packages like 30 Under 30, the Forbes 400 and the Billionaires List. The editorial team drives the look and feel of the brand.
Interns will be embedded in the newsroom and contribute to daily ideation and work. You’ll have strong mentorship and support from our Design team, and you’ll come away with a better sense of the practice and craft of Editorial Design and how it functions in a real world setting.
As an editorial design intern you will:
- Be assigned fresh and challenging projects everyday based on the news cycle.
- Have the opportunity to work on Forbes Daily Cover Stories and our lists, including the annual Forbes 400, as well as their promotion across our social accounts.
- Create graphics for our social platforms including the Forbes main account, ForbesWomen, For(bes) The Culture and Forbes 30 Under 30. These accounts reach over 44 million people every month.
- Help curate the brand new Forbes Design Instagram feed.
- Design data visualizations based on reporting and research.
- Collaborate with the design, editorial, photography, video, product and technology teams everyday.
- Be supported by the art team who will help you learn and grow as an individual and a professional.
About Our Summer Intern Program
- Our internships are paid.
- This internship is approximately 40 hours/week Monday-Friday.
- Internships begin on or around June 1, 2021 and will last for 10-12 weeks.
- You will be joining an intern class of other students that will be placed throughout our various teams (Editorial, Sales and Marketing, Tech and Product).
- Interns are invited to weekly presentations to hear from leaders within the organization.
*Start and end dates are flexible within 1-2 weeks should your university schedule interfere with our dates).
- A link to your online portfolio and resume showing digital design experience from a college or university and prior work experience (if applicable).
- Passion for journalism and storytelling.
- A go-getter attitude open, the drive to learn how a newsroom functions and ability to adapt to a fast-paced breaking news environment.
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch.
- The ideal candidate has an aptitude for illustration and photo collage.
- Creative process rooted in strong conceptual thinking with a sophisticated sense of digital design, composition and typography.
- Strong communication skills. Designers need to be able to clearly and concisely express themselves and explain their ideas.
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to multitask.
- You enjoy staying current on design trends and industry technology, sharing findings with the department to facilitate new ways of thinking, working and problem solving.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Ability to create animations in AfterEffects
Areas for growth:
- Understanding of user experience with the ability to take designs from wireframes to final QA published pages.
- Concepting illustrations and art directing outside illustrators and animators.
- Photoshoot process and ideation.
Applications without an online portfolio will not be considered. Please share examples of work that demonstrate a variety of skills mentioned above. A design test will be required for final candidates.
Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses its various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. We celebrate success and are committed to using our megaphone to drive equity. We are the world’s biggest business media brand and we consistently place in the top 20 of the most-popular sites in the United States, in good company with brands like Netflix, Apple and Google. In short, we have a big platform and we use it responsibly.
Forbes is an equal opportunity employer.