Compass inspires business professionals to engage with their local nonprofits to transform communities. We believe nonprofits are the backbone of strong and vibrant communities and know many are overstretched and under-resourced. Few can afford top-tier consulting firms. Compass has dedicated employees in Chicago, Greater Philadelphia, and Greater Washington, and has been providing pro bono professional consulting services to nonprofit organizations since 2001. With our volunteers and philanthropic support from individuals, companies, and foundations, we have connected more than 3,500 business professionals with nonprofits to complete 875 projects, providing over $91 million in pro bono consulting services. To date, Compass has also placed 163 professionals onto 102 nonprofit boards.
We believe that creating a diverse and inclusive organization is central to achieving our mission. Compass is committed to cultivating an environment that fosters respect, equity, and opportunity for all our employees – where you can bring your whole self to work.
In this newly created position, the Development and Communications Associate will be a key member of the three-person team responsible for national development and communications efforts. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional to hone skills and gain expertise in collaboration with award-winning managers; be a member of an integrated, supportive team committed to our local communities; and contribute to Compass’ impact and growth.
Major Gift Support
Support Relationship Mangers, Compass staff who cultivate and retain donors at the annual $2,500 or more giving level. Major work streams:
· Ensure accuracy of donor record assignments and reports
· Coach Relationship Managers to implement Salesforce and portfolio management best practices
· Keep Relationship Managers current on relevant Salesforce developments
· Communicate and seek to continuously improve internal processes to ensure efficiency, accuracy, consistency, and staff/donor delight
Fundraising Campaign Support
Support all integrated annual appeals (End-of-Year; Spring; Classic and Micro volunteer) and new annual Legacy appeal. (Director of Philanthropy will spearhead strategy and buy-in across organization which will inform schedule, design, list, and appeal letter draft.) Manage execution of all related email, social media, and direct mail. Major work streams:
· Manage process with mail house
· Support Executive Directors of each Compass city and President of National Board in requesting and updating “Board member contacts”
· Work with the Director of Philanthropy on implementing strategic fundraising plan
Support the donor experience to ensure Compass retains all donors, with particular focus on first-time donors who are most likely to never give more than once.
· Manage multiple acknowledgment letter/tax receipt templates in Salesforce ensuring they are refreshed (authored by Director of Philanthropy) each quarter
· Ensure board members and other leadership volunteers are promptly notified of gifts from their “contacts” so they can write or call with a personal note of thanks
· Manage process at mail house for Impact/Annual Report (1x per year) and “Newsy-letter” (2 – 3x per year). Both authored by the President in coordination with Directors of Communications and Philanthropy.
Coordinate events, including quarterly National Board meetings, program events when donors may attend, and fundraisers such as the 20th Anniversary Celebration in May 2022. Major work streams:
· Manage event logistics including staff responsibilities, internal communications, external communications (e.g., social media posts with oversight from Director of Communications and/or coordination with Associate Program Directors), guest lists, contracts, venue, music, menus, photography, and other event production tasks
· Support drafting of all event-related correspondence (e.g., sponsorship solicitations, thank you letters, invitations, honoree requests, etc.)
· Maintain master prospect sponsor and participant invitation lists
· Create and track event budgets and timelines
· Oversee work produced by designers, printers, caterers and other event vendors
· Draft and issue regular event status reports
· Manage registration and confirmed sponsorship lists
· Manage “day of”
Support Compass communications to increase awareness and understanding of Compass. Develop content showcasing Compass’ brand and service offerings. Grow social impact with increased number of messages balancing calls for action and overall brand.
· Work with program teams to develop pithy case studies
· Collaborate across Compass to develop content for the monthly and quarterly external newsletters
· Develop content that appeals to nonprofits, volunteers and potential volunteers, donors and potential donors, corporations, foundations, and the general public
· Support development of the internal newsletter
· Use and create video to tell Compass’ story or convey messages
· Uncover and write interesting nuggets and stories for all communications channels
· Write overarching brand posts, incorporating Canva and video, for social channels
· Update content, integrating social channel posts on the Website utilizing Word Press
Individuals should be able to demonstrate the following:
1. Belief in and enthusiasm for Compass’ mission
2. Outstanding interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including understanding different styles for audiences and channels
3. Excellent organization skills
4. Ability to communicate and liaise effectively with colleagues and vendors and work well within a de-centralized team environment
5. Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities efficiently and effectively with an acute attention to accuracy and detail
6. Ability to independently manage a multi-faceted workload and meet strict deadlines
7. Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize, show flexibility, and solve problems creatively
8. Ability to maintain complete discretion and work comfortably with confidential information
9. Ability to identify areas to improve processes and systems for efficiency
10. At least two years in a nonprofit development/fundraising role or related experience
11. Bachelor’s degree required
12. Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack proficiency preferred
13. Microsoft Office 365, Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Adobe suite proficiency preferred
14. Word Press experience preferred
The Development and Communications Associate is a full-time salaried position that includes generous vacation, holidays, individual health, dental, vision, and 401k benefits. Compensation will be competitive with similar roles in the nonprofit sector.
Please send your resume and a cover letter that describes your interest in Compass and your experience in development and with Salesforce to Patricia Crawford, at firstname.lastname@example.org, including“Compass Development & Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Preferably, the position is based in Washington, DC. Alternatively, the position may be remote in the Philadelphia area. During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start remotely with transition to onsite in Washington, DC when the office reopens. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process which will be conducted virtually.
Submit by May 1, 2021 for full consideration.
Compass is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.