Compass is a nonprofit organization that provides strategic consulting services to other nonprofits in the Greater Washington, Greater Philadelphia and Chicago areas. Our program relies on business professionals who volunteer their time and professional skills on consulting teams. Compass strengthens nonprofits that work on different issues, including education, children and youth, low-income support, arts, and more.
This year Compass is working with 80 nonprofits in DC, Philadelphia, and Chicago, contributing more than $8 million of consulting services to the nonprofit sectors of the three cities, free of charge to the nonprofits.
Compass is seeking several interns for Summer 2021. Interns are essential members of the Compass team, where they have growth opportunities, while helping us serve communities. Intern activities will vary, depending in part on the intern’s interest and skills, and may include working closely and remotely with Compass staff:
· Analyze volunteer and client surveys and share the findings with Compass staff
· Assist with marketing and communications initiatives, such as the annual report, marketing collateral, and newsletters
· Imagine, plan and design a #GivingTuesday effort
· Assist with data management, including Salesforce record optimization
· Assist with event planning, including 20th Anniversary Celebration
· Research and write for essential documents including our case for support from donors, programmatic case studies, and foundation grant reports
· Assist with Compass’ social media initiatives using social media management tools
· Assist with nonprofit and volunteer interviews
· Other research, analysis, or administrative support as needed
Because we are a small team of 17, Compass interns get significant responsibility and the opportunity to work closely with highly skilled and dedicated Compass employees in different areas including programs, marketing, and operations. The internship is unpaid, although we are happy to provide great references and recommendations afterwards, as requested.
· Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited university or 2021 college graduate
· Experience using Microsoft Office, especially Excel
· Strong writing, editing, and communications skills
· Organized and detail-oriented
· Experience with Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
· Experience with Salesforce or similar database is a plus, but not required
· Previous experience working in social media management is a plus, but not required
· An interest in nonprofits or consulting
· Must have own laptop
· The ability to work independently, but also to communicate regularly with others on staff
· Strong time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
· Must take initiative and have a good sense of humor
For the best experience, interns should ideally work 8-10 weeks between May 15 and August 31. The timing can be tailored for each intern; however, we require a commitment of at least 8 weeks and a minimum of 6-8 hours per day.
Due to COVID, all Summer 2021 internships will be remote.
Approximate Hours Per Week
In order to get the most out of this internship, we ask interns to work Monday – Friday each week for the majority of peak business hours (9:00- 4:00). Hours are flexible, however, and can be arranged around summer school schedules or paid summer jobs.
We believe that creating a diverse and inclusive organization is central to our ability to achieve our mission.
To apply for this internship, please send a resume and cover letter to Courtney Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Compass Internship.” No phone calls, please, as we are not in the office.