Goal: Improve and expand the online communications presence of the Friends of the Fells, particularly with video production.
Specifics: Since COVID-19 has eliminated our ability to run most in-person nature and historical programs, the Friends of the Fells has begun a YouTube channel to fill the gap, and have created 16 short videos to date, with several more in production. The videos were created by volunteers.
We’d like to expand and improve upon this start by hiring an intern with expertise in video production and an interest in ecology. Depending on the skills of the person we hire, we could expand in one or more of the following ways:
- Produce more videos along the lines of those already produced, including scheduling with the subjects of the interview, editing, and publishing;
- Inject creativity into communications regarding environmental science and/or advocacy topics related to the Fells;
- Identifying other potential subjects;
- Creating videos featuring the intern as the expert;
- Creating alternative approaches to online communications regarding environmental science and/or advocacy topics;
- Exploring opportunities that involve TikTok;
- Editing or collaborating with volunteers; and
- Working as a team with volunteers.
We will work with the intern to structure a project that meets the needs of our organization and your own creative vision.
- Demonstrated experience with video production, recognizing that this internship could provide valuable opportunities for growth.
- Timely responsiveness to e-mail communication.
- The intern would need to provide their own video recording equipment ( A smartphone will likely be adequate) and a computer on which to edit the video. If you have your own sound recording equipment, that’s a plus, but we can arrange for a loan of this equipment. Depending on how social distancing requirements evolve, there may be opportunities to become a member of one of the community access TV stations that provide equipment loans and instruction.
Outcome: Depending on the direction the work takes, the result will be a portfolio of communications suitable for sharing with job or graduate program applications. You will develop video and/or other communications skills, and get an opportunity to exercise your creative vision.
We have a budget of $1,000 for this internship, which assumes $900 for labor (60 hours x $15/hour) plus $100 for equipment or incidental expenses.
- 3 professional or academic references
- Samples of your work
- In a few paragraphs, please:
- Explain how you would structure this opportunity to improve the Friends of the Fells video or other communications;
- Describe the outcome
- Tell us the relevant skills you bring to the opportunity, and what skills you may need to develop.
- What equipment you have at your disposal or may need to borrow.