Galileo is looking for an agile and service-minded Seasonal Payroll Specialist to join our highly collaborative People Operations team. This seasonal team-member supports all summer payroll processes, and will play an integral role in ensuring all 2,000+ summer employees are paid on time and accurately through our busiest season.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
It takes a village to bring best-in-class, ever-evolving educational programs to over 30,000 kids each year. At HQ, we believe that we are Galileo; through the work of each contributor and team, we bring our values to life, and constantly make our company and culture better. Because here, values aren’t just lip service — we aim to be more visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective each day, and back that effort up with structure to ensure our success. People who work hard, seek feedback to improve their work and themselves, feel deeply accountable for excellent work product, and play very, very well with others tend to thrive in our culture. Complainers don’t.
We like each other, we joyfully work hard together, and united by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do. We’re also a certified B Corp, and uphold a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our purpose from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
What’s the job, really?
We’re looking for a Seasonal Payroll Specialist to support running payroll for over 2,000 summer staff. This payroll superstar will be a deft executor, a quick learner, and a detail-oriented leader who thrives on executing administrative tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- You’ll make sure our employees are paid accurately and on time. You’ll execute weekly tasks to process payroll ~2,000 summer staff using ADP payroll software and plenty of Excel resources. You’ll build on existing team experience to identify and implement year-over-year improvements to our processes and resources.
- You’ll deliver payroll-related communication through our ticketing system and will execute on follow-up tasks related to employee inquiries.
- You’ll provide team and general human resources support, maintaining a high level of approachability, warmth, accountability, and demonstration of service.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1-2 years experience in an administrative role
- Solid command of Microsoft Suite and Google products, as well as the ability to pick up new systems quickly (like our payroll software)
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to engage professionally and enthusiastically with applicants and internal clients via phone and email
- Payroll experience (particularly ADP) preferred, but not required
- Experience with ticketing and project management (particularly Salesforce) preferred, but not required
- Skill at and experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
We welcome your application, even if you don’t feel like you meet all of the requirements listed above.
Schedule & Time Commitment
- Virtual, part-time training: February 15th – 26th
- 40 hours/week: March 8th through August (exact end date TBD)
Benefits & Compensation
- Temporary employee (non-benefited)
- Paid sick leave is accrued at a rate of one hour per every thirty hours worked; accrual begins on the first day of employment and paid sick leave may be used beginning on the 90th day of employment
- We offer a significant camp discount to year-round and seasonal employees
Galileo Headquarters, 1021 3rd Street, Oakland, CA 94607 (Please note that, due to COVID-19, Galileo currently adheres to a work from home policy. More information to be provided during the interview stage.