GMHC is a not-for-profit, data-driven, volunteer-supported, and community-based organization committed to national leadership in the fight against HIV/AIDS. We provide HIV prevention and coordinated care services to people living with or affected by HIV/AIDS in New York City.
This position will support the Development team in a variety of capacities. This internship will be a great experience for those who wish to learn more about all of the different aspects of nonprofit fundraising. Our Development team works closely with Communications and Programs in a marketing capacity to reach our donors, so this is a great opportunity to learn more about marketing and communications and how they relate to fundraising. The Development Intern shall support Institutional Giving by helping to facilitate matching gifts and to track them in the matching gift portals. The Development Intern shall support Individual Giving by updating individual donor records in Salesforce, helping with imports of donation information, and assisting with donor acknowledgments and communications. The Development Intern shall support Special Events with respect to production and execution of virtual special events as needed. This position can be fully remote, so students in any location are encouraged to apply.
Essential Intern Functions
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the internship:
· Track information and subscriptions to various corporate giving portals
· Input donation data and prepare data for import
· Update donor information based on donor request, etc.
· Provide support for virtual special events
· Other support/administrative duties for the Development team as assigned
· May/June – August 2021
· 8-15 hours per week, minimum. The hours can be completed over 1 or 2 days.
Education and Certification
Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program in a college or university.
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed internship responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this internship possesses most or all of the following:
· Previous experience with CRMs (Customer Relationship Management) or corporate giving programs, preferred but not required
· Strong communication skills
· Strong organizational skills (e.g., attention to detail)
· Editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling)
· Interest in fundraising and development work
· Computer skills (e.g., software including MS Suite)
· Experience working cooperatively as part of a Team
· Culturally sensitive
· GMHC Intern Orientation
· The Development Intern will be trained on how to log in and access information on many of the major corporate giving platforms used by GMHC. Additionally, this position will be trained on how to access individual donor files in Salesforce to make basic updates to contact information. Training will last four hours in total; however, the team is available for ongoing training and support.
How to Apply
Email the following to Internships@gmhc.org
· Cover Letter
· Internship Application Form <<< Click here to open form
This is an unpaid internship. We will work with students on what their goals are for the internship and can help a student to obtain academic credit for the internship.
Our insurance company requires that all staff, volunteers and interns complete a background check. The mandatory background check will screen for sexual and violent offenses. Depending on the nature of the offense, we will determine a course of action. In other words, if an offense comes up, it will not automatically disqualify you from an internship. In coordination with GMHC’s Senior Vice President of People Operations and Compliance, we would determine if you were able to intern at GMHC. For GMHC to conduct the background check, your consent is required. If consent is not provided, we will not be able to offer an internship placement. The background check process will only be initiated after you have been offered an internship, and the internship can begin after it has been completed.
Due to COVID-19, GMHC building operations are closed, though we are providing many services remotely. As this position is a work-from-home position during the COVID-19 pandemic, the intern must have access to a computer with high-speed internet.