The German Marshall Fund of the United States Cities program is currently seeking an intern for spring 2022. GMF Cities engages leading U.S. and European policymakers and practitioners by facilitating the exchange of transatlantic solutions for building sustainable, inclusive, and globally-competitive cities. GMF Cities works in selected cities in the United States and Europe that share common challenges and a desire to explore solutions through transatlantic exchange. GMF Cities actively stewards transatlantic initiatives that explore key issues through high-impact gatherings, peer exchanges, and applied research.
In addition to the opportunity to acquire substantive professional experience for those interested in a career in urban policy or transatlantic city affairs, interns with the GMF Cities program are compensated by a monthly stipend.
For the Spring 2022 time period, GMF Cities seeks interns with a demonstrated interest in any of the following policy areas:
- Local democracy, voting and election, minority representation, community engagement and involvement.
- Affordable housing, alternative housing policies and practices.
- Racial and ethnic segregation.
- City diplomacy, international city relations.
- Migration and integration policies.
- Racial, social and economic equity.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Supporting program staff in the implementation of ongoing programming and administrative needs
- Facilitating research on best practices in urban and regional policy in communities on both sides of the Atlantic
- Writing and editing materials for the GMF Cities team in support of our ongoing programs
- Tracking and monitoring project status and tasks to be completed
- Updating the database of GMF Cities contacts
- Conducting a regular scan of news and infrmation relating to the program’s ongoing work
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of small- and large-scale events and meetings
Qualifications and Requirements
- Knowledge of or strong interest in any of the topics and themes listed above.
- Strong computer skills and experience using Microsoft Excel.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Capable of working on multiple projects at once and prioritizing tasks.
- Excellent analytical and written skills and previous research experience.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Creativity and motivation to independently complete writing and research projects.