Reports to: Intern Supervisor
Hours: 30 hours per week for Summer 2021
Giffords is a nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives from gun violence. Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords shifts culture, changes policies, and challenges injustice, inspiring Americans across the country to fight gun violence. We are looking for interns to join our team remotely during the summer semester of 2021. The ideal Giffords intern is highly organized, detail-oriented, a strong writer, and passionate about the issue of gun violence prevention.
Interns at Giffords are paid $16 per hour. We will work with interns to gain academic credit if applicable.
Start date is June 1, 2021 with a commitment of approximately 30 hours per week throughout the summer of 2021 with an end date in August 2021.
Interns will work on one or more of our teams listed below to help support our ongoing efforts in the fight against gun violence. Exact team placement will be based on relevant experience of each intern and capacity needs of each team.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Due to high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
DUTIES & RESPOSNSIBILITIES:
- Monitor and assemble daily press clips on related issues
- Monitor break stories
- Draft content for messaging including press releases and other content
- Research and assist in writing blog posts
- Create and organize press lists
- Research reporters and assigned topics
- Conduct donor and prospective donor research
- Assist with database clean up and management
- Assist with data analysis projects
- Manage correspondence with donors
Engagement + Advocacy
- Provide support to our Courage Fellowship program, a leadership development program for young gun violence prevention advocates
- Support our expansion of Giffords Gun Owners for Safety and our law enforcement, medical, veterans, and women’s coalitions
- Conduct research and provide statistics related to various advocacy coalitions
- Manage individual and coalitional advocate correspondence
- Monitor hearings at the federal and state levels
- Research state policies and legislation
- Help prepare for next year’s legislative sessions
- Organize Quorom, our legislative tracking platform
- Conduct media monitoring for key races, states, and regions
- Research personal, electoral, legislative, and political histories of candidates and incumbents
- Collect and identify relevant political and electoral research from various outlets and partners
- Track communications with federal, state, and local campaigns
- Write first drafts of memos and briefs; draft PAC candidate endorsement letters
- Assist with compliance work related to PAC checks and independent expenditures
- Assist with coordinating virtual political events
- Monitor and review new research on gun violence
- Track and code data for research team databases
- Conduct and write literature reviews to support policy and advocacy work
- Interface with online data portals and download and clean tables
- Assist with basic data analysis and spreadsheet management/organization
Applying + the interview process
To apply, click here. Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways you would be a good fit for our internship. Our interview process consists of a phone interview and a video interview.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.