Shareholder Advocacy Intern
Working closely with Green Century’s shareholder advocacy team, the intern(s) will be responsible for researching how climate change and environmental issues affect a broad range of industry sectors, will help develop the business case for environmentally sustainable practices, and will help profile companies that are leaders in clean energy and environmental sustainability. Specific issues may include but may not be limited to: renewable energy procurement, greenhouse gas emission reduction, climate change, deforestation and cross commodity supply chains, and plastics use reduction.
Through this experience, intern(s) will be exposed to sustainability challenges in a variety of industries, learn how to benchmark corporate practices, and develop strong research and presentation skills. Intern(s) will also be exposed to the growing field of environmentally and socially responsible investing, including the relationship between corporate sustainability, financial performance, and fossil fuel divestment strategies.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist shareholder advocacy staff in preparing for corporate environmental campaigns
- Research and analyze areas of environmental risk facing various industries in order to identify those companies most at risk
- Draft compelling, concise business cases for environmentally responsible business practices at specific companies for use in shareholder resolutions and company dialogues
- Assist in the shareholder resolution filing process
- Draft content for press releases
- Grow and update the media database and track media coverage
- Assist marketing team with social media to enhance Green Century’s role and recognition.
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental issues, and an interest in environmentally responsible business practices
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- An ability to work both as part of a team as well as deliver independent projects
- Some background in natural sciences is helpful
The position will require a minimum of 10 hours per week up to 20 hours per week in the spring and fall, and up to 40 hours per week in the summer. Office hours are 9:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday. Intern(s) must complete work within that time frame and on a regular schedule. Days are flexible depending on student schedule and program needs.
IMPORTANT: You must be eligible to participate in the MassCEC Internship Program or you will not be hired.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and work or writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify position and timeframe in subject line.
DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION
Green Century Capital Management, Inc. (GCCM) administers the Green Century Funds, the first family of no-load environmentally responsible fossil fuel free mutual funds. Founded and wholly owned by non-profit advocacy organizations, GCCM is dedicated to promoting an environmentally sustainable economy. The Green Century Funds put their investors’ money to work for cleaner air, cleaner water, and greater corporate environmental responsibility.
The Green Century mission:
- Provide environmentally responsible investing opportunities for those who care about the planet while seeking competitive returns
- Promote corporate environmental responsibility through a comprehensive and sustained shareholder advocacy program
- Support the advocacy and public interest work of GCCM’s founding non-profit organizations by generating revenue to fund their programs
114 State Street, Suite 200, Boston, MA 02109
Green Century Capital Management is an equal opportunity employer.