The Greenlining Institute’s Leadership Academy Summer Associates join the organization for a 10-week, cohort model, hands-on public policy and leadership development internship to advance Greenlining’s race equity mission to remove race as a barrier to economic opportunity.
Summer Associates support the research, writing, analysis and external communications of Greenlining’s policy work while completing training that contributes to their personal and professional development. Our goal is to invest in race equity policy advocates with a deep commitment to dismantle oppressive systems.
This is a paid internship position. Our offices are based in Oakland, CA, while COVID-19 restrictions are still in place the role will be 100% remote. Participants will be expected to relocate if not currently based in the Bay Area region when our offices reopen.
Application Deadline: Sunday, February 7, 2021, 11:59p PST
Program duration: June 7, 2021 – August 13, 2021
Compensation: $1100 stipend bi-weekly
Apply through the external application link via Handshake.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Public Policy Development & Advocacy
- Deepens and applies race equity lens to analyze and develop policy solutions that remove barriers for historically redlined communities
- Develops, drafts, and publishes public policy writings including but not limited to: policy memos, policy briefs, business memos, public comments, blog posts
- Delivers oral presentations for internal and external forums including Greenlining’s annual lobby day with Sacramento legislators/staffers, stakeholder convenings, Leadership Academy graduation
- Co-facilitates meetings with community, government, and corporate leaders to drive organization’s advocacy forward
- Participates in all leadership development workshops to learn and apply a holistic (mind, body, spirit) and equitable approach leadership
- Learns unique leadership style, values, vision and purpose through self reflection exercises, goal-setting activities and 1:1 coaching
- Brings lived experience to cohort and organizational conversations to offer innovative ideas and diversity of perspective
- Provides support to cohort members and engages in team-building activities to form strong working partnerships
- Participates in all skills-based workshops to learn Greenlining’s approach to race equity public policy advocacy
- Learns Greenlining’s keystone public policy frameworks to shape their race equity lens
- Engages with Leadership Academy alumni to expand professional network
- Develops capstone presentation to share during Leadership Academy graduation
There is no degree requirement to apply for the program. Successful applicants generally have the following traits:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- No degree or experience requirement to apply, BA in related field preferred
- Committed to championing causes that serve low-income individuals and communities of color
- Proven ability to work in a manner that respects differences in race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Willingness to try on new techniques and approach unfamiliar experiences with curiosity and openness to the process; approaches challenges that push beyond their professional comfort zone with determination, heart and deep commitment to their personal growth
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to complete writing and public speaking assignments with high quality
- Team player who inspires collaboration, lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of humor
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively while demonstrating flexibility with others to set goals, resolve problems, pivot assignments and make decisions that move forward the work
- Ability to create and maintain friendly and professional relationships with staff, other participants and key stakeholders
- Ability to prioritize tasks, strong organizational skills, and an ability to work independently.
- Strong writing and computer literacy of PC-based Google Drive and MS Office Programs