Can data really help local businesses around the world thrive? Are you ready to test your skills using massive amounts of information to uncover what goes behind business decisions?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses. We connect people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services and experiences. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you’re ready to be part of Groupon.
As a part of our Technology organization, our Data Science team strives to be the voice of the customer in the decisions Groupon makes. We develop and use ground-breaking data technologies and data science algorithms to sift through large amounts of data and distill it into information about our customers’ wants and needs. We then integrate these insights into our automated decision-making systems to constantly improve our services.
Now we’re looking for the next wave of great data scientists to work on presenting just the right deals to the right users at the right time, for hundreds of millions of daily interactions. We work in small, independent, and agile teams, and collaborate with Product Designers to implement stuff quickly. These high-purpose and demanding roles offer a unique combination of computer science, engineering, algorithms and applied math, scalable production systems, consumer product thinking, and business revenue optimization. Personalization for Local+Mobile is uncharted territory in e-commerce, and you can make your mark working on that at Groupon. There are not a lot of boundaries here, so expect to make a huge impact.
We’re a “best of both worlds” kind of company. We’re big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We’re curious, fun, a little intense, and passionate about helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
What You’ll Be Doing:
You will be working with big data, leveraging our cutting-edge tech stack, using techniques like machine learning, optimization, deep neural networks, etc. to solve real business problems. You’ll work shoulder-to-shoulder with our engineering and science teams. Your assignment will vary depending on the team you are placed into.
Here are some example projects that previous interns worked on:
- Merchant ranking: Determining which merchants to call first based on multiple objectives
- User behavior modeling: Predicting user propensity for click, conversion, and attrition
- Personalization: Recommendation algorithms for both users and merchants
- Forecasting: Modeling historical data to forecast demand, purchase propensity, merchant risk, etc.
- Marketing and CRM: Customer life-stage modeling, large-scale advertising on search engines and social media for customer acquisition and continued engagement
- Deal portfolio selection: Large-scale linear and nonlinear constrained optimization algorithms for managing the right portfolio of deals in each local market
What to Expect:
- Exposure – Being a household name gives employees the opportunity to work in startup-like environment and focus on deeply interesting work that you wouldn’t get to do anywhere else; you will have a large-scale impact in a short amount of time
- Professional Development – Participate in weekly “lunch and learns” with other engineering and business functions, skill building workshops, and networking sessions
- Fun – Explore the city through our planned intern social outings, and develop your network while getting to know your peers and Groupon’s leaders
- Mentorship – Look forward to one-on-one time with dedicated managers and mentors to facilitate your growth throughout the summer internship experience
We’re excited about you if you have:
- You should be currently enrolled in a MS or PhD program in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Math, Statistics or related field
- Preferred emphasis on algorithms, machine learning, data mining, statistics, applied mathematics, or similar field
- You have strong coding skills in one or more programming language, such as Java/C++/Python/Ruby etc.
- You have an understanding of applied math topics, such as probability and statistics, linear algebra, basic optimization techniques
- Experience in SQL, Hadoop, R and scripting preferred
- You are an excellent and efficient communicator
- You have a passion for consumer experience, a desire to go into uncharted territory with bold new ideas, and a willingness to go the last mile on execution