GrubStreet is the leading literary arts center in the country. We are a hardworking and creative bunch and pride ourselves on a warm and supportive work environment. The Development Operations Associate position plays a key role in helping GrubStreet to support our mission.
The Development Operations Associate is responsible for critical tasks including accurately entering and maintaining donor data with timeliness and confidentiality, processing donations, and coordinating formal gift acknowledgements.
This is a full-time permanent position, with some evening work required. The Development Operations Associate works in our fast-paced, friendly Boston office (currently operating remotely). This position reports to the Senior Development Manager, supervises the Development Intern, and works closely with the entire team.
We encourage BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and people of color), LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, and other communities historically underrepresented in arts administration spaces to apply. GrubStreet strives to dismantle every system, process or structure that would discourage any person from working with us. We actively seek diversity, equity, and inclusivity because we know that all people are vital and that their stories are our stories.
Processing and Acknowledging Gifts
· Process gifts and enter gift and donor data into database and development reporting spreadsheets.
· Manage all aspects of gift acknowledgements, including preparing, assigning, and sending out formal acknowledgement letters and call lists for thank you calls. Coordinates with all members of the team and volunteers to ensure that assignments are completed and information is entered into the database.
· Manage all aspects of pledges, including entering pledge commitments and payments into database and preparing and tracking pledge forms.
· Lead monthly reconciliation with Finance team.
Database Maintenance and List Management
· Pull and clean custom lists for donor communications, including appeal mailings.
· Assist with all aspects of annual appeal, including preparing labels and printing letters, and logging mailings into the database.
· Identify and flag overlap among outreach lists across multiple campaigns to ensure smooth donor communications.
· Enter details of donor meetings and other donor contacts into database for recordkeeping and to ensure follow-up.
· Complete regular database maintenance tasks, including ensuring that donor notes are consistently logged, updating contact information and contact preferences, and other tasks as needed.
· Develop database best practices in partnership with the Senior Development Manager and lead team trainings on database functions.
· Adhere to strict confidentiality agreement related to donor and gift information.
· Serve as point person for member inquiries, including questions regarding renewals and benefits.
· Process membership payments and send out membership welcome letters.
· Coordinate and maintain membership benefits, including collaborating with the marketing team to promote discounts and priority class registration.
· Coordinate new membership communications and programming, with support from the Senior Development Manager
- Contribute to GrubStreet’s anti-racism and anti-bias resources and programming for donors and community members
- Strong data entry and database management skills required
- Strong tech skills, including facility with list management and spreadsheets
- Knowledge and facility with fundraising operations a big plus
- Extremely detail-oriented, with very strong organizational skills
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills – both oral and written; comfort calling both donors and possible vendors on the phone
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Willingness to learn and work well within a team environment
- Interest in working with donors
- Demonstrates GrubStreet’s commitment to anti-racism and equity in all communications and events with donors and members
- 1-2 years’ experience with non-profit fundraising or related experience
About the Organization
We believe that narrative transforms lives, builds bridges, and produces empathy. By rigorously developing voices of every type and talent, and by removing barriers to entry, GrubStreet fosters the creation of meaningful stories and ensures that excellent writing remains vital and relevant.
GrubStreet, the largest creative writing center in the U.S., annually engages over 8,000 students – both teens and adults – in programs that range from two-hour workshops to year-long graduate-level seminars.
Our teachers are working artists who bring the highest quality instruction and mentorship to storytellers. We also host a major writing conference each year and public storytelling events. The education and networks we facilitate foster a richer local writing scene, with a strong focus on increasing opportunities for writers of color, low-income writers, and teen writers.
Our programs eliminate common barriers to participation in the arts and lifelong learning, and build community among participants. We continue to increase financial aid and provide free writing programs (including bilingual classes) for adults and teens in low-income communities in Boston.
Our programs and offices are currently operating remotely in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
GrubStreet is an equal opportunity employer. We provide a competitive salary and benefits package and a dynamic, collaborative work environment. The salary range for this position is $45,000-50,000, commensurate with experience.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and please put “Development Operations Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Position Status: Full time, exempt
Position Level: Associate, 1-2 years’ experience needed
Position Reports to: Senior Development Manager