Little, Brown & Company, is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support two editors. This is an entry-level role in our editorial department, but one with opportunities for learning and growth.
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter.
- Interact professionally with authors and their literary agents, as well as internal departments within Little, Brown and Hachette, including design, publicity, marketing, production, sales.
- Draft and circulate contract forms, process check requests, and send out payments and executed contracts.
- Draft descriptive copy that will be used to explain books to the sales and marketing departments.
- Attend and take notes at editorial meetings, and attend marketing and sales meetings as required.
- Review book proposals and submissions from literary agents and writers and write analysis and be prepared for potential further discussion.
- Research book sales using internal and external databases.
- Participate in brainstorming meetings and share ideas for books.
- Perform administrative duties, including: scheduling, photocopying, handling mail, filing, directing/responding to inquiries, ordering office supplies, maintaining book archives, misc. research projects, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will:
- Be passionate about books
- Be open minded and curious about literary fiction and narrative nonfiction.
- Be passionate about the creative process and sharing ideas
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Be highly organized, capable of multi-tasking, and detail-oriented.
- Be able to work effectively with colleagues at every level of seniority.
- Be self-directed and able to work independently.
- Demonstrate imagination, creativity, and original thinking.
- Be comfortable using email, calendar management, and file management tools.
- Be familiar with Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel or other like tools.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a minimum compensation of $45,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.