Hachette Book Group Canada has an opening for a creative, ambitious and versatile part-time Publicity intern (three days per week for five months/paid) to assist in the Publicity department. The ideal candidate should be a quick learner who wants to explore a career in the book publishing industry and thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Duration: This is a five-month (negotiable), part-time internship with the potential to be extended.
Location: Currently this is a virtual position but may become a hybrid of virtual and in-office in Toronto, when the COVID situation changes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; book related contests/giveaways
- Assist with Blogger and Influencer outreach and mailings
- Coordinate publicity mailings
- Create press releases and other publicity materials with guidance from staff
- Assist with research projects and maintain publicity database
- Assist with award submissions
- Distribute mail, sample books, and other publicity materials
- Perform administrative duties, including trafficking bills, scheduling meetings, photocopying, directing/responding to phone calls, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- University degree
- Professional publishing program certificate and/or related work experience a benefit but not required
- Experience and a keen interest in social media
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Excellent verbal and communication skills along with good judgement and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with a small, team-oriented department
Please submit a cover letter and resume, detailing your interest in this internship and publishing.
Hachette Book Group Canada (HBG Canada) was established in 2009. It is the Canadian marketing and publicity arm of Hachette Book Group, Inc. (HBG), which was created in 2006 when Hachette Livre acquired the company from Time Warner. HBG is a leading trade publisher based in New York and a division of Hachette Livre, the second-largest publisher in the world. HBG publishes under the divisions of Little, Brown and Company, Little Brown Books for Young Readers, Grand Central Publishing, FaithWords, Center Street, Orbit, Hachette Digital and Perseus Books. HBG also provides a wide range of custom distribution, fulfillment, digital and sales services to third party publishers. In Canada, distribution clients represented by HBG Canada include Hachette UK, Disney Book Group, Kids Can Press, Marvel, Filipacchi and Peterson’s. HBG’s independent and library sales in Canada are handled by Canadian Manda Group. For further information on HBG Canada, please view our website at www.hachettebookgroup.com.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.