Hachette Book Group offers virtual paid summer internships to students and recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 7th – August 13th and allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest.
As an HBG Managing Editorial Intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, and attend departmental meetings.
Who you are:
- A rising junior or senior, graduate student, or recent graduate interested in exploring a career in book publishing
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic and excited about discussing recent books you’ve read
- Possess a great attitude and a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
What you will learn:
- Applying for Library of Congress CIP data
- Style manuscripts for XML workflow and send to freelance copyeditors
- Review copyedited manuscripts before submitting for editorial review; after editorial review, reconcile all changes and queries and perform cleanup before delivering to Production.
- Print page mechanicals and send to freelance proofreaders
- Collate editorial markup with proofreader markup before delivering to Production
- Check that changes and corrections have been made correctly
- Transmitting and reviewing reprint changes
- Proofread cover copy and cover and insert mechanicals
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume and cover letter. Please note that you are responsible for your own housing during the duration of the internship.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation of $15/hour. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.